westell 6100 not connecting, no internet light at all
endira33

So, I've been with out internet for about a week, and frankly I'm getting really frustrated. The DSL and data lights on my modem (westell 6100) are on, but the internet light is not. It's not red, it's not flashing, it's nothing. I've rebooted the modem, I've power cycled it, with no luck. I tried Verizon customer service, but since I can't be on the phone with them while in front of my computer(and, let's face it, they are pretty difficult to understand, ) that hasn't helped at all. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: westell 6100 not connecting, no internet light at all
rata36a

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I know that connected to your modem you have: A power supply and a phone line.

#2 What else is currently physcially connected to the modem?

#3 With your web browser try going to 192.168.1.1

#4 If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

#5 Are you using the White and Blue or the Red and Black Firmware?

0 Likes
endira33

the only things connected to the modem are the power supply, the phone line, and the ethernet line running from the computer.

i had already gone to 192.168.1.1, with no luck. i'm not sure what i should be looking for, i guess. all it says is that my modem is not ready and can't connect. i did notice that under date/time, the date is completely screwed up. would that have anything to do with what's going on? i tried to change it, but it doesn't really allow for that.

also,how do i tell what firmware i am using?

Verixon sent a new modem, but lo and behold, i still have NO internet. this has been going on for more than 2 weeks now:(

thanks for the help!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@endira33 wrote:

also,how do i tell what firmware i am using?

If the screens of your router looks like the sample screens that you see at

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750015-07/index.htm

That is the Red and Black Firmware.

#2 I am just wondering...

a) Can get access to http://activatemydsl.verizon.net/ from behind this Westell?

b) If not, can get access to http://activatemydsl.verizon.net/ from anywhere else? For example, a Dial-up Connection.

c) Are you trying to setup Internet access OR are you trying to Restore Internet Access? By restore Internet Access, I mean - it was working at some time ago (week, month) but is not anymore?

0 Likes
endira33

well, that answers that. apparently i am using the read and black firmware.

and this connection had worked with virtually no problems for over a year. it wasn't until two weeks ago that the internet connection was lost.  Verizon sent me a new modem, but that did absolutely nothing. i've also tried replacing every component i can think of; phone cord, splitter, etc...

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Ok, in the router go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

#2 If there is a connection type listed in there, what is it? For example PPPoE.

0 Likes
endira33

yes, it is PPPoE

0 Likes
LMCrowellesq

I am having the same problem.  The internet was creeping along at 100 mbs for a bout a month and not I have nothing.  My router has three lights; one for "DSL" which is blinking, one for "Data" which blicks twice as fast as the "DSL" light, and one for the "internet which is not illuminated at all.

My computer shows that it is connected ot the internet but I can not access any webpages. 

Doesn't anyone know how to fix this?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Try to go to http://192.168.1.1/ .

#2 Choose Troubleshooting, and then click Transceiver Statistics.

#3 Then If using Verizon-branded firmware (should be Red and Black), go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics.

#4 Post up the information you see on that page.

#5 If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

#6 Could you provide the modem's log to us however when the Internet drops (Do not reboot the modem!)? The logs from the "All" category will work.

If using the Red and Black Firmware in the same interface around the same area you found the Transceiver Statistics link, there will be a System Logging link which will bring up the logs.

#7 Does forcing the modem to reconnect via the Web Interface work, or is a reboot always needed?

0 Likes