1 of 2 computers cannot connect to the network
afhopie44

I've had Verizon internet for almost 2 years and never had any problems with my computer or my friend's computer conneting to the internet. I use the DSL wireless internet with the Linksys BEFW11S4 Router .  I have a laptop and a desktop which both connect fine. My friend's laptop and desktop are able to connect as well.

But my new roommate is unable to connect to the internet.  She is able to connect  and go online with other networks within range but not mine.  When i Look at the signal strength on her laptop it is excellent with all bars green.  She is able to connect to my network and it stays connected but when she clicks on the web page it will not load and says check your network connection. 

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  I have resstarted the computer numerous times, because I thought that might help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Likes
Re: 1 of 2 computers cannot connect to the network
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
For the BEFW11S4

If your router screen(s) look like the screens at http://ui.linksys.com/files/BEFW11S4/v4/1.52.02/

Go to Wireless.

#1 In Basic Wireless Settings, is Wireless SSID Broadcast set to Enabled or Disabled?

#2 In Wireless Security, what is it set to (Enabled, Disabled)?

a) If WEP, what Wireless Encryption Level?

b) If WPA, what WPA Algorithms?

#3 In Wireless Network Access, is it set to Allow All or Restrict Access?

But if the screens look like http://ui.linksys.com/files/BEFW11S4/v1-v2-v3/1.45.10/setup.htm

#1 In Setup:

a) SSID Broadcast: Enabled or Disabled?

b) WEP: Mandatory / Disable

c) For WEP Key Setting, what Wireless Encryption Level (64 bit, 128 bit)?

#2 Go to Advanced -> Wireless. Enabled or Disabled?

For her computer, did see release and renew the IP Address of her computer?

This means for example, if on Windows XP...

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter. You/they are now at the command prompt.

To release type in ipconfig /release and press enter in the command prompt.

To renew type in ipconfig /renew and press enter in the command prompt.

^^
0 Likes
afhopie44

How do I find out what my router screen looks like ?

What confuses me is that my friend and her boyfriend can come over with their laptops and connect to my computer right away with no problem. But then all of a sudden my new roommate is unable to do the same. Does this mean something with her computer is wrong?  I am at work right now and unablet to check the computer until I get home so I'm just trying to brainstorm...

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers on your computer

I have no idea of what your OS is, but I will assume Windows XP.

For example, if on Windows XP...

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 With your web browser, enter in the default gateway's IP and press enter.

#3 When asked for the user name, leave it blank. When asked for the password, enter in the current password,

Default password is admin.

And press enter.

Then look at your screens and compare them to the screens at that URL(s) that I gave you...
0 Likes