12% rate increase for DSL
SteveBrown1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am unhappy about the 12% rate increase for DSL, from $41.99 to 46.99. That far exceeds the rate of inflation, and I am on a fixed income.

0 Likes
Re: 12% rate increase for DSL
jonjones1
Legend

@SteveBrown wrote:

I am unhappy about the 12% rate increase for DSL, from $41.99 to 46.99. That far exceeds the rate of inflation, and I am on a fixed income.

I don’t know where your located but I would google “Verizon dropping copper” or “Verizon raising prices of dsl to have customers leave” 

since technology is leaping the old technologies are obsolete. However Verizon is forbidden to stop pots service in many areas and states. However it is a money drain so Verizon has been raising rates in those areas to get customers to their fiber service if available or to sell off the assets to other companies.

you see since they have to service your account by decree, there is no law that says they cannot raise your rates. 

Technology today is fiber and wireless and not copper. DSL is over copper.

you being on a fixed income make no matter to such large corporations. 

Sad but true.

see if there are other services you may be able to afford in your area. Maybe another dsl or satellite or cable internet provider.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Jon mentioned above, if a Cable provider is available, check to see if they have a plan which suits your needs. In NY State especially, Cable companies are required to carry a $15/m Internet package which will provide speeds equivalent to a higher end DSL package.

Many of the inexpensive cable packages are unadvertised. So be sure to ask. I doubt you'll otherwise want to drop the DSL connection you've got down to the 1Mbps package. That can be.... slow.

RareBear5419

We chose Verizon because the only other Internet providers were satellite based, and were of the lowest credibility, performance, and customer service.  Additionally, we live in a rural area of Massachusetts - where cell service is very poor.  Hence, a need for a hardwired landline/internet.   It is awful slow, but it beats the satellite companies hands down.    

While we are glad we have the landline option, This WILL NOT make us a Fios customer when we move!  I am on a fixed income, and do not need surprises; the likes of which I have had with several utilities I have no control over - even with turning the thermostat down, turning TV off, etc.      

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I wish I knew what you are talking about?

no one is forcing you to Fios if you move. However if the technology is no longer available as to DSL you would need to research other options.

0 Likes