1MB DSL Service locked at 128kbps?
tgeer43
My roommate recently downgraded his service plan to the 1MB starter package. I can go to any broadband speed test site and get a steady 1-1.2Mbps download speed but when I do ANYTHING in the real world like downloading a file, streaming video or audio, Bittorrent P2P, applying system updates, etc., my download speed is limited to exactly 128kbps - always. Even if I have multiple connections/downloads going they all have to share that tiny 128k slice. Hours on the phone with Verizon tech support have failed to even convey the problem to them, much less get a resolution. They just don't get it. Has anyone heard of this issue before? I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction as it's obvious that I'm going to have to figure this one out without Verizon's help. Thanks in advance, tgeer p.s. My roommate is running Vista with a direct ethernet connection to the modem and I'm running Ubuntu Linux 9.10 with a wireless connection. Both machines have the same 128kbps limit problem.
0 Likes
Re: 1MB DSL Service locked at 128kbps?
Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is that 128k bits or bytes?  The spped test results you are seeing is in BITS per second, not BYTES.  It's curious that 128k BYTES per sec would end up being about a megabit/second.

0 Likes
tgeer43

No, its bits per second, hence the small 'b' (kbps), so I'm getting 128k bits/sec when I should be getting over 1M bits/sec. - about 1/8th speed at best. 😞

tgeer

0 Likes
Re: 1MB DSL Service locked at Kbps?
The_Ham

More than likely the distant web site is throttling back the speed.  When I download my audio books from audible.com, they limit my download speed to 150 Kbps.  This keeps bandwidth hogs from using up bandwidth from everyone else.  You might verify this by using a friends computer and make the same calculations.

0 Likes
The_Ham

Oh yes, also try another router or check its settings, it may have something to do with the speed loss...

0 Likes
Binnzer
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are getting the correct speed..

To add...
There are 8 bits to a byte.
So 1mbps is equivilent to 1,000,000 divided by 8 or 125,000 bps or 128Kbps or so

The 1mbps is the 'advertised' rate and if you were to ask the promoter they would say that means "up to" 1mbps.