2nd line needed for another gateway in front of apartment??
slowlane1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My apt layout is one of those old long nyc ones.  The DSL/phone line comes in at one end, where the wireless gateway is.  The signal reaches about halfway down the apartment.  A booster thing relays the signal a bit further but not all the way to the front room.  I thought I could get an additional wire from the outside run to the front and put another gateway there.  But is there another way?  There is a Verizon connection point on an exterior wall of the building at grouind level.  It seems to feed all the apartments from there.  It is a small building.  Help is appreciat

0 Likes
Re: 2nd line needed for another gateway in front of apartment??
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you plan on installing another DSL Gateway, a second line would be needed. You can only have one DSL modem connected and active on a phone line at a time.

To accomplsih what you're doing the best, you may be best using Powerline networking or running an Ethernet cable to connect up a wireless access point (which could be a Gateway configured to act like one, a router, or a dedicated access point).

In addition, what may work in this case is a high sensitivity directional antenna. If your router has removable antennas, you could replace them for something that might work a bit better.

slowlane1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will look into running an ethernet cable, but also is "powerline" where it uses the electrical wires?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@slowlane wrote:

I will look into running an ethernet cable, but also is "powerline" where it uses the electrical wires?

Correct. Performance can vary based on how good your electrical wiring is, and based upon electrical noise, but for the most part it's a decent tech.

0 Likes