Re: 3 to 7 Mbs flips to 980k at peak hours.
sunyate
Enthusiast - Level 3

yep.. that looks familiar.

i've noticed that my connection speed can go up to around 1.2Mbps after it's throttled, but i haven't seen it go over 1.5., most of my tests show it in the 700k to 900k area at peak times.

i'm in santa monica, ca, a few blocks north of wilshire blvd.

i'm curious to know what you find out.. my suspicion is that it's beyond the control of the techs, that it's more of a corporate wide policy but you never know. maybe the few that call and complain get switched to a different network??

good luck!

-sunyate

0 Likes
Arujei
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm further inland from you over in South East End of La Puente close to Walnut and City of Industry. I been talking to support and they are investigating. It looks like a miscommunication between us didn't reopen the previous case when I realized there was a time pattern. I'll let you guys know what we come up with. For now I'll keep testing using http://testmy.net/ with the auto tester to gather more info.

Hopefully it isn't a company policy and something that just needs fixing. If it is the latter then I'll be demanding recompension and seriously looking into where to file a legal complaint.

0 Likes
Arujei
Enthusiast - Level 2

Support called back mentioning that the circuits in my area have been conjested. 

They switched me to a less conjested circuit. So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

0 Likes
Arujei
Enthusiast - Level 2

One hour later fail. Calling support again to update them and let them know that circuit change only pushed the issue back one hour. Looks like my neighborhood's circuits are really conjested ~_~.

0 Likes
sunyate
Enthusiast - Level 3

that is wrong on many levels...

1) the "circuits" in your area have been congested.. i'm picturing a switchboard lady in front of a patch bay here?

2) they make it sound like it's temporary, clearly the traffic isn't going down any time soon.

3) they also imply that traffic determines the throttling, but we've already seen that it's too "on the hour" to be due to current traffic.

4) a person should not have to call in to get "switched", assuming that is even possible.

-sunyate

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dropping you a PM in case you don't get anywhere with the current process you're on. If my contact says you're screwed, it pretty much means there's nothing he can move you to that won't be congested at night.

0 Likes
Arujei
Enthusiast - Level 2

They moved me again and it seems to be much better my down time is only and hour now it seems. Though it fluxates. They been trying to scheduel to send a tech to come down since the issue isn't resolved. I don't see the point of wasting a tech or my time to have someone check the boxes here when it has been determined that the they are overloading their stuff.

0 Likes
sunyate
Enthusiast - Level 3

well that sounds encouraging.. i guess i'll join the really really motivated users that get on the *special* network.  i still think it sucks that people need to do this.

i guess the more submissive people just get slow access?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's no point wasting time sending a tech out if them changing your routing on the CO-end of things has led to improvements. That alone is enough to prove that the ball is within Verizon's boundaries and they are the responsible party to fix  it on their end. The tech will simply show up when it's actually working and not taking a dump to low speeds, state that it seems fine, and give you the benefit of the doubt and start guessing to solve the issue which may make matters worse and also prevent him from solving other issues that do not pertain to CO issues. To solve these issues, Verizon needs to take a look at how they have their equipment loaded, and determine how capacity can be shifted to give everyone the highest performance possible without involving throttling or severe oversubscrition. Essentially, load each part of the network evenly and upgrade accordingly. Pretty easy to see why I'm saying this based on forum reports both here and at DSLReports.com, AND from your own experience so far with trying to get this resolved as you move from router to router, switch to switch, link to link.

Really though. The only reason you need a field tech to come out would be if you are having copper loop issues. In this case, he would only need to show up to ensure that your home's wiring is good, and that any problems that might exist with the outdoor plant are improved and that your service is working after he has performed any repairs. The tech support agents should have access to the DSLAM's Statistics for your line (unless they truly do not, which is bad!) to see if the problem is with a bad line or if it really lays with a network issue.

sunyate: Any luck with your problem?

0 Likes
smokesjackson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted a few weeks back about verizon capping my speed,my internet is still the same to this day.My connection acts up just like yours.Here's my post from a few weeks back.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Check-this-out-Verizon-has-to-be-cappi...

0 Likes