About my Westell model 7500...
Summerbear5

Periodically my internet will just completely stop. I will open a internet explorer webpage and it will say cannot connect or some other crap. The only way to get the internet back going again is to shut down the modem for 20 seconds and start it up again hoping that it will connect back to internet. I have 2 computers that are hooked up wired to the modem but only 1 is on most of the time when this happens. And when it does happen I turn the other computer on and no internet there either so it can't be the computer. Cause they both don't have a connection. I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the modem as for when I first got it this never really happened but each day that passes the problem gets worse and worse. Then again I've only had the modem 3-4 months. I don't want to exchange it nessesarily cause then Verizon will tell me there was nothing wrong with the modem and bla bla bla I will get charged for the replacement. I don't know what else to do. Could it be something on the computer? Could the modem be acting up? I have filters on all phone lines except the line going to the modem. I regularly check my computer for spyware/adaware/malware/and viruses. Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone else done anything to solve this and what was it? Anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks

0 Likes
Re: About my Westell model 7500...
bc20878
 We run MAC's and found that having them switch out the Westell to an ActionTec solved one of the connection problems
0 Likes
Summerbear5
Switched out like how? Did Verizon do it for you? Did they charge you? Did you buy a new modem? Thanks
0 Likes
bc20878

One of the tech's I talked to at V wanted me to download a patch to 'fix' our modem problem.  I could not b/c the Westell was/is a PC based product and I had no way to download the patch.  It forced the issue 😉  So they decided that since I could not do what they asked me to, they had to find another product that was already updated and that I could download future patches to.  So V sent the Actiontec and I returned the Westell at V's expense. 

NOW for some very interesting news!  LOOK at your existing modem, do you  in fact have a DSL or Internet signal???  Our DSL has been in and out since July of '08 - just learned from a tech today 09/15/08 - that V is {word filter avoidance} with DSL as they put in Fiber Optic cable near us!!!!  Here I am pounding my head on a nail tryiing to find and fix 'the problem'....  I've lost my DSL single several times today after the tech left - but now I know to just wait and at some point it will resume.  So now my beef with V is what compensation do I get for them not offering service 24/7 like I am paying for but can not have......  

Good luck in finding a solution in your service area - the good techs and supervisors are like tiny grains of wheat in a huge haystack - once you find a good one get their contact numbers and make sure you let the company know how good they are - and complain like crazy when you get a slacker....

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 09-15-2008 06:11 PM
0 Likes
Summerbear5
Thank you so much for your responces. I hope that everything works out for you in the end. I acually went into a chatroom for computers and they suggested to turn off the wireless of the modem. Which I did and now it's working fine. Never had a problem since "knock on wood". My guess is one of my neighbors was trying to access my password protected connection and failed one to many times that the router closed off internet for all. So as soon as I turned that feature off haven't had a problem. Whenever I had the problem before the internet light was still on so this just makes since to me that, thats what was going on. Thanks again for helping and I hope you get your stuff straightened out.
0 Likes
bamboo

turn off the wireless of the modem.

an alternative may be to disable SSID Broadcast, but leave the wireless on for your own convenience

" When SSID Broadcast is enabled, any computer or wireless device using the SSID of “ANY” can see the
Router. To prevent this from happening, click the Disable option. This will disable SSID Broadcast so that only the
wireless devices that are configured with your SSID can access your Router."

Message Edited by bamboo on 09-20-2008 11:35 AM
0 Likes
Summerbear5

Thank you for the suggestion. That is good because I do have a laptop that connects to wireless. I don't use it anymore but it would be nice to be able to use it in the future..

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Turn off the wireless of the modem, that will be a better idea then to turn off the SSID.

Hate to break it to you, but you are not really hiding your SSID at all.

Anyone with-in range and with the right tools (including the correct Knowledge) can still find your wireless network.

Here is a great FAQ that answers why, more techincally.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/11468

same page but a different domain http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11468

DSLR (formerly known as BBR) All FAQs » Wireless Security » 4.0 Setup »
Disabling SSID.
0 Likes