Acer Inspire Netbook Cannot Connect Wirelessly to Verizon Westell Gateway
bangelbjr

I recently bought an Acer Inspire netbook and cannot connect wirelessly to my Verizon Westell gateway. But I can connect to my neighbor's unsecured wireless network. Its funny huh.. I tried to disabled the wep security on the Westell gateway but no luck. Could someone help me?

0 Likes
Re: Acer Inspire Netbook Cannot Connect Wirelessly to Verizon Westell Gateway
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router, are you trying to hide the SSID?

#2 In the router, are you using MAC Address Filtering?

#3 If you have no idea: What is the model of this Westell Gateway?

0 Likes
bangelbjr

I called Verizon and they helped me set-up the Acer netbook to connect to Westell gateway.

Solution: Verizon updated the software for the Westell gateway to include both WEP key for 64/40 bit and 128/140 bit.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bangelbjr wrote:

I called Verizon and they helped me set-up the Acer netbook to connect to Westell gateway.

Solution: Verizon updated the software for the Westell gateway to include both WEP key for 64/40 bit and 128/140 bit.

While you found a fix, I find that strange.

Why not just go down to 64/40 bit if your computers do not support 128/140 bit - Or if your computers do not support 64/40 bit, why would you want to support both?

0 Likes
bangelbjr

Sorry for the confusion. The Verizon tech updated the Westell gateway to include both work on 64/40 bit or 128/140 bit, since the Acer laptop works on 40 or 140 bit WEP key.

0 Likes