Actiontec Router Slow To Respond
JackInBooklyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Verizon DSL and an Actiontec router model GT784WNV with firmware version GT784WN-VZ-1.1.18.

When I log into the router by typing its IP address into my browser (chrome or IE), it takes 30-40 seconds for the home page to come up.  Is this normal?  It seems it should respond more quickly than that.  Other routers I have used respond almost immediately when I log into them.

Thanks for your help,

Jack

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Router Slow To Respond
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is not normal. The router might be having an issue where it has a memory leak due to a software problem. By chance, is this happening after the router has been on for a while, or also fresh from a reboot?

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

Mine sometimes takes that long to load.  Other times, it won't load at all.  What I have found, though, is that going to 192.198.1.1/, and actually entering the /, lets you see other pages of the firmware that you have visited recently.  Click on one of them and it will open right away.

It seems to have problems loading the very "front" page for some strange reason.

JackInBooklyn
Enthusiast - Level 2
I did try rebooting and even resetting the router, but it is still slow.
I did get Verizon to send me a replacement, i am hoping I don't get another Actiontec, but if I do I will see if the problem persists. Thanks for your response.
0 Likes
JackInBooklyn
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have notcied this, too. It is the home page that seems to be the slowest to load.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This hang, now that you mention this happening on the home page, might have to do with the "My Network" or Network chart the router tries to produce. I've noticed when you add a ton of devices to the router, the page often breaks in trying to load. Now, this was after putting more than 40 devices on the gateway, or after letting things sit for a week using a DSL Gateway in a Hotspot manner.

JackInBooklyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

It must be something related to that.  Although I do not have 40 devices connected, I do have between 10 and 20.  Verizon sent me a replacement router and as luck would have it, I got another Actiontec (they said I'd get that or a DLINK) and it is no different.  It's going back.

Thanks!

J

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

I'm really happy with the Actiontec and wouldn't want a D-Link; the D-Link doesn't show you the line stats.