Switch Account

Adding NAS to home network

Adding NAS to home network

Contributor batchelorjt
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(10,049 Views)

I have several computers on my home network that are nearing their memory limits.  I am considering the addition of Network Attached storage to alleviate this situation.  As I began researching the possibilities, I noticed several Terabyte drives that can have USB ports, but no ethernet.  These drives seem to be somewhat less expensive.

How do I go about determining if the USB port on my Verizon Router will support such a drive?

How do I determine if the drive itself is designed to be used in this way?

3 REPLIES 3
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 4
(10,032 Views)
Just an educated guess: Most likely your router will not support USB devices other than a Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux Computer..

What is the brand and model of your router?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor batchelorjt
Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(10,022 Views)
Actiontec GT704WG
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 4 of 4
(9,992 Views)
I was right. Your modem can not support that NAS.

You must either:

a) Get that NAS hooked up to your computer and share from there. The user's guide for that NAS should address this...

OR

b) Get a NAS that has an ethernet port.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.