After power outage, DSL syncs but can only access google?
Mr_Z
Enthusiast - Level 3

We had a power outage two evenings ago, I rebooted the router and modem, which syncs and no other apparent issues.  Problem is only www.google.com seems to be opening in the browser and I can search and it returns results.  But that's about it.  I tried many sites: www.verizon.com, www.yahoo.com, etc, etc all just get time-outs.  This is not isolated to 1 machine but everything on the network.  Router stats all look solid, says I am connected and the modem sync light is solid green. 

Any ideas?  I have no idea where to start....I am thinking of doing a hard reset on my router.

Just a thought, is it a possibility that the DNS that my Verizon connection uses is hosed on their end?

0 Likes
Re: After power outage, DSL syncs but can only access google?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Did the hard reset correct your problem? If you think its a DNS issue, please try manually typing the following IP addresses into the address bar of your browser and see if it brings you to the website. If the website comes up by the IP address, but typing in the name doesn't, this means there's a DNS issue.

72.30.38.140       = Yahoo.com

69.192.202.120   = Verizon.com

72.21.215.52       = IMDB.com

Re: After power outage, DSL syncs but can only access google?
NEPhilly1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see such mess once in a while too. It's pure Verizon issue. My smartphone  with another carrier loads sites as they must be but after switching to my router Wi-Fi, the smartphone won't get some sites or they appear corrupted.

Such problems usually go away by themselves in a day or two.

0 Likes