Another connectivity issue/thread
jm950371

I have an issue for several months whereby my internet connection drops several times a day for about a minute.  This used to be a small nuisance but is now simply unacceptable as I work primarily from my home office and at times need to use things like Skype which having calls drop is not good!

I see that many others on these forum(s) have brought up the same issue, however I've yet to come across any answers/help that have clearly identified why the problems exists or what a reasonable solution is?

I'm using a Westell 6100 G modem with the following stats:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision            3.3.6.10.0.1

Vendor ID Code         4D54

Line Mode      ADSL_2plus

Data Path       INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information      Down Stream Path    Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)         2112   860

Margin (dB)   25.5    13.6

Line Attenuation (dB)          42.5    26.1

Transmit Power (dBm)        17.7    12.1

It should also be noted that the only way this modem will connect to the Internet is in Routed Bridge mode??

This is what I see when I first go into view the logs which seems weird (see connection state and ethernet wan)?  I am up and can get to the internet right now.

Current Date and Time: Mon Oct 3 17:26:17 2011

Logs   

DSL State:       Up

Connection Mode:     Routed IP

Connection State:      Down

Ethernet WAN:          Down

I just had an outtage while I was going through this forum and here's the logs from that event:

Oct 3 17:15:14          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           RIPConfig: no interfaces are enabled

Oct 3 17:15:09          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           Routes transitioning to Up state on nas1.

Oct 3 17:15:06          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           WAN came up before SIPALG was configured

Oct 3 17:15:05          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           QoS on nas1 transitioning to Up state.

Oct 3 17:15:05          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           Routes transitioning to Down state on nas1.

Oct 3 17:15:05          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           QoS on nas1 transitioning to Down state.

Oct 3 17:14:37          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           Routes transitioning to Down state on nas1.

Oct 3 17:14:35          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           QoS on nas1 transitioning to Down state.

Oct 3 17:14:35          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           Routes transitioning to Down state on nas1.

Oct 3 17:14:35          daemon.notice           net_mgr[205]:           QoS on nas1 transitioning to Down state.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
Re: Another connectivity issue/thread
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you try connecting this modem to the NID?

If you don't know what I mean by that, I point you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

#2 Since you said/asked

@jm95037 wrote:

It should also be noted that the only way this modem will connect to the Internet is in Routed Bridge mode??

a) Do you have your own RJ-45 WAN port router?

b) Only if so: What is the brand and model of it?

0 Likes
jm950371

Update:

Got a call this morning from a very helpful gentleman, whom I wish I had caught his name!  

We changed the configuration from Routed/Bridge mode to Bridge/Bridge mode, he then had to release the IP address at the Central Office which then allowed my D-Link (DIR-825) wireless router to pick up the IP address which should alleviate this dropping issue - keeping my fingers crossed.

He was also nice enough to share with me that our area (Morgan Hill, CA) has a lot of congestion and that they will have the network which connects us the the Verizon online network upgraded from copper to fiber by the end of the year.  As we are basically a Verizon island (former GTE market) in a predominantely AT&T market (SiliconValley) their network crosses over AT&T's and need AT&T to pull the fiber connection into their Central Office.  Not holding out hope for ever getting FIOS here, although that would be GREAT if it did happen, but at least progress on upgrading the network is a good first step.

Well let's see what the day will bring and if any drops happen or if speeds increase (my modem was also capped at 2.1mbps and he changed it to "discovery mode" which should give me faster speeds than the 1.7 I was typically averaging...well at least during times of low congestion).

0 Likes
jm950371

Well 24 hours later after the call with Verizon support and nothing has changed...I've been able to nail down in the logs that this loss of connectivity event happens every 3 hours at 9:14am, 12:14pm, 3:14pm, 6:14pm, 9:14pm, 12:14am, 3:14am & 6:14am.

Back to the drawing board!!??

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some reason, your downstream sync rate is incorrect. It looks like Verizon has "Optimized" it for one reason or another. That line can technically fly a 5Mbps connection. Considering the downstream rate is incorrect, without the complete modem log being posted, I would have to say you are having an intermittent noise issue on the line. Do you by any chance have Verizon Landline service? If you do, does it have the tendency to present static or other noise?

0 Likes