Apple Mail 4.1 (1076) Can't Take in Email
Dr_John1985

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

3:11 PM  -0800

I cloned my first generation MacBook Pro to a new and very hot 3.06 dual core which will be slow in 18 months.

I have three mail accounts on Apple Mail 4.1 running on OS 10.6.1. I changed port 25 on SMTP to port 587 as required.

The two accounts with mailboxes on the Mac, Verizon and Yahoo! Plus, can't recieve mail. They turn grey and show that little dinky sign. Connection doctor doesn't specifically tell me what's going on, either.

I'd love to have a way to check the POP server and it number, but I can't do that with Apple Mail.

I've taken out and re-created both accounts. I have a lot of email filters and don't want to lose them. I suppose the next thing to do is trash the ~Mail folder.

-John

0 Likes
Re: Apple Mail 4.1 (1076) Can't Take in Email
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

what happens when you click on mailbox and then take all accounts online?

Dr_John1985

Donald,

"what happens when you click on mailbox and then take all accounts online?

It does the same thing. The icons next to the account name show that something is going on. Then the two accounts with folders on the Mac, Verizon and Yahoo, go grey and freeze. I took a small screen shot of it, but I don't know if I can attach it to this message.

-John

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

If an error does not come up then something is up with the program, you might want to make sure it shows incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.

0 Likes
Dr_John1985

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

6:17 PM  -0800

@Donald_Linbin wrote:

If an error does not come up then something is up with the program, you might want to make sure it shows incoming.yahoo.verizon.net and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.

Ummmm. I've never seen these server names before. I thought that when one took in or sent out mail on a foreign server, one used SSL settings for both  POP and SMTP mail account servers  on the "foreign" network.

-John

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

no all pop3 settings must be entered you probably do have to use port 687 for outgoing but you have to use those servers.  incoming should not use ssl.

0 Likes
Dr_John1985

Friday, October 9, 2009

12:03 PM  -0800

The specifications for Yahoo Plus for a thrid party email client such as Mail are specified below include a deviation from norm on the POP number, SMTP number and it requres SSL on both.

I think Apple Mail automatically sets up the POP server or the IMAP servers. But Verizon and Yahoo don't wont't work.  Ths same settings in Entrourage work okay, but I hate it. I have to run and will be back at the board in about three hours.

-jk

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

it does in fact automatically set these settings, but they are wrong, you need to go in and manually change them.

0 Likes