Assigned IP Address Verification
stace413
I'm finding out that whenever I reboot or power cycle my router it is assigned a new IP address - is there anyway to get a log of which addres was assigned to my router and what time?
0 Likes
Re: Assigned IP Address Verification
prisaz
Legend
It would depend on the router. Most routers will log this information in the system log. Many routers are limited on how much information can be stored here do to memory limitations. If you need to maintain access to a system and your IP changes, it is best to use some type of dynamic DNS resolution service such as no-ip.com or dyndns.org. If you are only interested in seeing the new IP information when it changes, you can find this information in your router.
0 Likes
stace413

I need to verify past activity and I was afraid the system log may be the only way - any ideas why my log starts with items dated May 15, 2007 and then jumps to today, April 9, 2009.  I didn't even receive the router from verizon and install it until about a year ago.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@stace413 wrote:

I need to verify past activity and I was afraid the system log may be the only way - any ideas why my log starts with items dated May 15, 2007 and then jumps to today, April 9, 2009.  I didn't even receive the router from verizon and install it until about a year ago.

Default time and date in the router's firmware and also the calendar was probably off until after you started using the router. There are different levels of logging that can be set in most routers. Depending on which one you have, it may not be showing the connection status changes.
0 Likes