Best wireless N router?
Garry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bought 2 Toshiba laptops for Christmas. 1 Satellite, 1 Qosmio. Each have 802.11 wireless connectivity.

I've been scouring the Internet for the best router for my needs, but I keep getting information overload!

Need to connect these 2 computers for mainly the folowing:

Heavy media usage. Streaming/downloading movies, music, trailers, pictures, video, etc. Light to medium online gaming so I would prefer no lags or freezing with the data tranfers. And occasional live webcam conferencing.

This would be my very first incursion into wireless connectivity to the Internet so I'm a little leary as to what to get and what to expect. These are basically desktop replacement laptops and I would prefer that they behave the same as if they were connected to the Internet via a landline.

Would appreciate any and all help in making a decision.

Thank you.

Garry

0 Likes
Re: Best wireless N router?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

http://wireless-router-review.toptenreviews.com/

Routers are one of those things that basically are...what luck have you had with it? Some will swear by Linksys/cisco and others think they are junk. Some prefer D-link where others think that the D stands for "Devil".

Things you want to look for.

Likely you will need/wan an "N" class router. I wouldnt waste my money on a "G" anymore.

Now I dont like wireless myself, but when I do use it I want as powerful a router as I can get. Remember, a STRONG Signal Strength usually means speed and reliablity.

But also, what works for me in my house may not work for you in yours. The problem is that wireless has too many uncontrolable factors for anyone to say what will and will not work in any location. Just try one and see how it goes. Most places have a 30 day return policy so if one doesnt do what you need, return it and exchange for another, until you find what works for you.

Also remember, WIRELSS is not WIRED. You will not get the same performance out of wireless that you did when wired no matter what you did. If you want the same performance that you did when wired.....wire your connection.

Re: Best wireless N router?
rayk85

Researched wireless N myself.  Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router seems to be the fastest and very easy to setup.  Check out the reviews on CNET.

0 Likes