Bridging Westell 6100 issue....
kzn105
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi there, hope someone can help me out.   I had the modem on bridge mode for a very long time until one day i lost connection.  I called support.  The tech suggested that i put the modem on PPPoE and that should solve the problem.  I agreed.  But now i want to switch back to the bridge mode.  The problem is the modem won't save the settings.  When the modem resets, it won't let me in.  It stalls.  I therefore have to reset the modem.  When i reset, the setting returns to PPPoE instead of Bridge Mode.  Why won't my modem save the setting?  Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bridging Westell 6100 issue....
kzn105
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok i was able to solve this problem.  Reason why i couldn't get into the GUI after the modem resets is because i need to have a static ip on my pc.  Once i did that i was able to get into the GUI after the modem reseted.  I just connect it to my router and whoala i got a connection. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
K_Verma

Try ping 192.168.1.1 if the modem is resolving itself  i. e 4 sent /4 received /0 % loss .Then open  the GUI 192.168.1.1. If the modem was reset thenuse the 

USER NAME  as admin

PASSWORD as  password 

next you will get a pop up to change the password change it to

USER NAME  :admin

PASSWORD  : admin    (so that tech rep can access the GUI nxt time you call tech support )

now you will see the complete verizon page 

westell 6100 modem has twi GUI one is with the blue and white background and the other one is red and black 

so the following description is for the modem which has the red and black background 

1. Put the modem in the bridge mode  click the blue icon in front of LAN under edit (on advanced DSL configuration page ).....select the protocol type as bridge and         routed bridge 

2. disable the LAN server  

click the MAIN and see under the MY NETWORK  it should show the red "x" then the mode is now in the bridge mode

now visit the link           192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm

and if you see a disable button on the page then click on disable and you will see the same verizon main page

now connect the modem to the router 

if you are using the linksys then we need to change the ipadress (default gateway ) for the router because the 192.168.1.1is the ipadress which the westell also has .

you can do it under  the set up tab in the GUI of the linksys 

now click on the status tab and see if we are getting some ipadresses (LAN /WAN ipadresses ) if we are getting some then you should be able to go online .

if not click on release DHCP and then click on renew DHCP instead of DHCP it could be IP ADRESS    if not 

open dos promt  for xp 

click start > run > cmd >                 openes the command prompt 

ipconfig                                             check the LAN ipadress 

ipconfig /release                              releases the LAN ipadress

ipconfig /renew                                 gets a new LAN ip adress 

once it is done access the GUI for the linksys and check if you are getting the LAN / WAN ipadress 

if yes , then try to go online       if still the internet will not work then 

configure the router for the pppoe connection 

get your ISP provided user name and  the password   if you dont remember call ( 800-567-6789 ) press 1 , 2 to avoid the IVR 

so under set up tab select the

connection type : pppoe 

user name         : verizon provided user name 

password          : verizon provided password

go to the status tab check the ip adress if still you are not able to go online with the WAN IPADRESS then its time to call router tech support ..

for the time being ....if you would like to connect to the internet reset the westell 6100 

access the GUI with 192.168.1.1 and change the deafult password to admin

and visit the link    192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm

click on disable 

and if you see verizon page again ...then under my modem if you see an ipadress which starts with 71/70/98/123/....and so on

then you should be able to go online   but it should not start with   10.x.x.x if it does call 8005676789 to set a pppoe connection

:-).

0 Likes
kzn105
Enthusiast - Level 2
my problem seems to be that the modem will not save the setting after i put the it on bridge. When it resets, i can't get into the GUI to access the modem. I remember my linksys router detected the bridged modem the very first time i had the modem bridge. The router would tell me that i need a different ip address. ie: xxx.xxx.2.1 since the modem occupied the xxx.xxx.1.1 Now, after i connect the supposedly bridged modem to the router, i don't get the warning??? Can anyone tell if it's the problem with the modem? or something else? I can get access to the net with the modem on PPPoE. Thanks in advance
0 Likes
Raver2005

Grüße Fräulein, Sturm-Verbot-Führer, Hello, I'm not sure what you're trying to do, Westell 6100F Updated 6100 Personally, I prefer 6100, his situation, unless the work and want to 6100F, 6100, and even a few seconds and pull the safety pin and press reset on the back to keep resetting the modem. Then you forget any order to show clearly, as you know, but I said, try some of the areas of equipment that is to solve the problems that engineers use a modem http://192.168.1.1/Verizon/rederict.htm However, I never seen a switch in September bridge mode, if you use a router or a set of PPPoE, if only for its computers directly to the modem.

0 Likes
kzn105
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry, i have no idea what you're trying to say. I'm trying to figure out if my modem is the source of the problem. Can someone here help me out? Anyway, it's interesting that Verizon techs don't want users to bridge their modem for some reason. I was put on hold for 30 minutes. The tech kept asking me why do i want my modem in bridge mode. Like that's any of your business. If anyone has a solution or experience, please reply. Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
K_Verma

hey

If we reset the westell modem Then all the settings gets back to the default setting .  by default the westell modems are set for Open pppoe connection .....so the settings gets bck to teh pppoe type

if you reset the modem    try the link wwww.192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm

and username  : admin

password   :  password   (by default )

on the restricted page click the disable button

now the modem is in the pppoe settings...if when the modem was in the bridge mode did not work then do the DOUBLE NATTING for the wetell 6100 ....

change hte default gateway of th ewestell to any of it   192.168.2.1    or 192.168.5.1

so that it will not conflict with the linksys wireless router's default gateway coz ....if we 'l keep the two ip default gateway as the saME IT WILL CONFLICT WITH EACH OTHER ......THAT IS THE REASON YOU WERE NOT ABLE TO ACCESS THE MODEM AFTER DOING THE BRIDGE MODE SET UP WHEN THE ROUTER WAS CONNECTED

then access the router and see if we have the WAN ipadress under status ....tAB

if nor then do the pppoe set up in the router and again check the WAN ipadress

if we have the ipadress then see if we are connected or not ...

0 Likes
kzn105
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for trying to solve my problem.  This is what's going on with my westell.  I first change the modem to bridge.  When i do that, westell tells me that it will have to reset (reboot).  Problem is that i can't go into the modem's GUI after it reboots.  So therefore i don't know if the modem is really on bridge or not.  After the reboot, i try connecting the modem to my wrt54gl router.  It doesn't work.  It only works when the modem is on PPPoE.  I think my problem is that the modem can not set itself to bridge mode.  Everytime i do that, i can't go into the GUI and the modem stalls.  Anyway to tell if it's the modem's problem? I live in NYC, brooklyn by the way. 

Anyone who lives in NYC that has his/her westell 6100 successfully set to bridge mode?  Just trying to figure out if i'm the only one experiencing this issue.  Or is it verizon?  thanks.

0 Likes
kzn105
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok i was able to solve this problem.  Reason why i couldn't get into the GUI after the modem resets is because i need to have a static ip on my pc.  Once i did that i was able to get into the GUI after the modem reseted.  I just connect it to my router and whoala i got a connection. 

0 Likes