Can I defrag a USB external HD plugged into the Verizon Modem/Router
jnepoore
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I wrote all I needed to in the Subject. I have always been diligent about defraging drives. However, the VERIZON DRIVE, designatede drive b: is not showing up on any defrag programs.  Is there something I'm missing?

Would I have to unplug it and plug it into the computer itself to be seen and defragged?

Thanks so much for you time to read and possibly help.  Jack  "{:-D

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I defrag a USB external HD plugged into the Verizon Modem/Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suggest against doing any sort of remote defragmentation on any sort of drive, even if the Verizon routers did have fully functional USB ports. Plug the disk into the machine you want to defrag and go from there. The performance will be better, and you'll have far less of a chance of something getting corrupted.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jnepoore wrote:

... the VERIZON DRIVE, designatede drive b: is not showing up on any defrag programs.  Is there something I'm missing?

Would I have to unplug it and plug it into the computer itself to be seen and defragged? ...

The USB ports on the Verizon Actiontec routers are not enabled.  You cannot fit a USB external drive to one of these ports.  Of course you definitely can plug it into a USB port on the computer and do what you wish with it.

jnepoore
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well. I guess I'm delusional! haha! I have been using the 40g USB Hard drive on this D-Link modem for weeks. It's really cool. I can access it from any of my 4 devices wirelessly. I'm backing up my PC hard drive to it as I type. Soooo .. again, I would like for someone to tell me if I have to unplug it and plug it into the pc to defrag it ... or is there someway for it to show up on defrag programs.

Thanks anyway. I do appreciate any response.  Jack "{:-D

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suggest against doing any sort of remote defragmentation on any sort of drive, even if the Verizon routers did have fully functional USB ports. Plug the disk into the machine you want to defrag and go from there. The performance will be better, and you'll have far less of a chance of something getting corrupted.

jnepoore
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith6612 = I accept yours' as a solution. Is there anyway to mark this as such?  Thanks so much, Jack ":-D

0 Likes