Can NO longer connect thru router thru modem
sweetnuttin

Hi Guys (and other Gals),

I am running 2 Windows XP Pro SP2 PCs that were wired to a Linksys WRT54G v.6 Broadband Router (with both 4 Wired ports and wireless capability) to a Verizon furnished Westell C90-610015-06 Rev. E, DSL modem. All was working peaches, both PCs worked great thru their wired connections to the router - then to the modem.

Wham Bam and the setup no longer works!! I seriously believe that Verizon has changed something(s) that they are not admitting to, in the last 2 or so months. I can plug directly from modem to either PC to and it works, but as soon as I interject the router - nothing, no connection, zilch!

Spoke with Verizon people who had me go thru some steps to "Bridge" the modem, (they didn't know what to do to the router or just wudn't admit to it), but nevertheless it wouldn't work! This was very late one weekend night. Came back to computer the next morning and plugged in directly from modem to PC and "that" wouldn't work, so had to spend 45 mins on phone with verizon again explaining everything again till they walked me thru resetting up the modem but would not do a thing for the router.

Called Linksys - no help, router was out of warranty, told me to download their documentation for help. I have now over 25 linksys docs telling me how to set up a router for connection, etc. 3 different ones just for setting up router for DSL connection. None of them work thru the router then thru the modem!  I had someone tell me to set up the router with a static IP account, that required some info from verizon that I cud NOT get from them. I guess they don't train the Indians on all that they need to know?

Okay, I have been rambling on but I am so very P.O.'d it is ridiculous, as for all the time I have wasted on this verizon debacle!

As it stands now, I am connected directly from modem to one PC, 2nd PC and router are just sitting here gathering dust.

can anyone PLEASE give me some much desired and appreciated help to get this network working again, Please?

Please go slow and bear with me as I am a "newbie" when it comes to this networking lingo and such!

Thank you so very much!

sincerely,

Sue

0 Likes
Re: Can NO longer connect thru router thru modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 When connected to the modem, check the following about your computer: IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers.

For example if on Windows XP:

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig / all and press enter.

#2 With a web browser go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#3 Below the text that says The text below might uniquely identify you on the Internet is an IP Address.

#4 If the IP Address on that site is not the same IP Address as the one  on your computer, then you should put the modem combo into bridge mode.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#1 Clue/hint: In the modem combo if the Red and Black Firmware, go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status.

#2 If the connection type is PPPoE, after putting the modem into bridge mode: 

a) in the Linksys go to Setup -> Basic Setup

b) Set the connection type to PPPoE. Enter in the PPPoE User name and PPPoE  password, into the fields and press apply OR save changes.

#3 If the connection type is DHCP, after putting the modem into bridge mode:

a) in the Linksys go to Setup -> MAC Address Clone.

b) Click Enable.

c) Enter in the MAC Address that you saw at System Monitoring -> Gateway Status.

--

If the White and Blue Firmware on the Westell, as need be see:

http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res08lyg/6100.htm

^^

0 Likes
sweetnuttin

SO this "bridge' mode is somewthing NEW that verizon has foisted upon us?

in the: #1 Clue/hint: In the modem combo if the Red and Black Firmware...

Do you mean when I have the PC directly connected to just the modem?

I believe it is Red & Black,  it has My Modem, My Network, Action Zone with white letters in a red rectangular box at the top of the 3 long rectangular boxes.    Is there a way to include pictures (jpg's) in a posting on this board??

I will try this out but it will take me a few days as there is a medical problem with my Dad and I can only get on the PC late at night after I have put him to bed.   So please bear with me and I will try this stuff out and get back to you to let you know what has happened to my systems.

Tnx a bunch!

Sue

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I see/saw your other thread over at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24813090-modemrouter-Can-NO-longer-connect-thru-router-thru-modem

#2 I think I know what Verizon, must of changed (if they changed anything).

They might of changed the LAN IP of the Westell, back to the default ( 192.168.1.1 ).

OR some how they remotely touched your modem, and got it out of bridge mode.

If they remotely touched that modem and did any one of those two things (or both)...

Quick quote from http://portforward.com/help/wirelessxp.htm

Keep in mind that as the owner of a wireless router YOU are responsible for the traffic that flows over that router. This is no matter to take lightly. If you neighbors break the law while connected to your wireless network, your ISP will hold you responsible.

..they have a lot of nerve IMO (In my opinion). That even in you did not use a wireless router.

You (an end user) is responsible for the traffic that flows over that router, period.

--

You (Verizon) hear me? It is user's network/ their responsible-ablity. Get the *bleep* and stay *bleep* out of end user's networks.

While I care about Security, what Verizon did as addressed in http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/Security/128297.htm where it says If you received an email advising that your router's administrative password is being changed is just wrong.

--

If you do not what to put the modem into bridge mode:

#1 you could in your Linksys go to Setup -> Basic Setup.

#2 Where it says Local IP Address, change that to 192.168.2.1

#3 Press save or apply changes.

#4 As need be release and renew the IP Address on your computers.

This means for example if on Windows XP.

a) Go to the command prompt.

b) Type in ipconfig /release and press enter.

c) Type in ipconfig /renew and press enter.

#5 Be advised, this will work as long as:

a) Verizon does not change the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1, of the Westell.

b) Verizon does not disable the DHCP Server, in the Westell.

c) The DHCP OR PPPoE Server that the Westell contacts, does not fail/crash.

d) OR: The modem does not fail/crash.

^^

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Hi.  PMFJI. 

Your 6100 is not just a modem.  It's a router modem.  The reason for using something like bridge mode is to allow a router to speak through another router to the system at the other end of the DSL link.  That system is a gateway to the internet.

Many other people with your same 6100 use that box as a place to link their PCs to directly, without any other router in play. 

I have a 7500 here, and before that I had a 327W.  Both made by Westell and provided by Verizon.  In both cases, I was able to use the router/modem that Verizon gave me as an Ethernet hub for local netowrking and as a Wireless access point in addition to using it as a client to Verizon's internet gateway. 

I don't know the details about the 6100, but I suspect that you could just remove your other router from the setup.  You'd have to set up your 6100 correctly as a router and a hub,  but that's pretty easy.  Verizon can tell you, and probably already has, whether the 6100 is good for wireless access as well.  You didn't mention wireless access in your OP, but you probably will.

0 Likes
JackClancy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This, too, happened to me on Sept. 23. Network working fine on Sept. 22, then went to log on to laptop and received "limited local connectivity", but desktop works fine. So, I cannot connect to the wireless modem and laptop. Called support and after three hours, they told me it must be the laptop and it could be an old laptop model (laptop is 3 months old.) Called HP, they see nothing wrong on their end, and said to call Verizon back.

The answer posted here is for XP, but what about Vista?  I am using Vista Business Premium on desktop and Vista Home Premium on laptop, but that should not be the issue as I have had a wireless home network for 3 years.

I have an Actiontec GT704WG wireless DSL Modem/Router.  I see some posts say to connect and try this or that and download, but if I cannot connect to the internet on the laptop, how can I download?

Seems odd that all was working fine one day, and the next nothing.

Anyone have an answer, please and thank you.

0 Likes
JackClancy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured out the answer to the question. The Verizon tech had me reset the wireless router, thus all setting were moved back to the default stage. He then could not figure out why the laptop still would not connect and said to call HP, and if that did not solve the answer (HP said nothing wrong with laptop,as I said), I could call tech service and pay a fee. Luckily, after searching and searching, I found that if you reset your wireless router, you have to enter the new settings on all devices connected to the network. I write down all the info from the desktop and entered it onto the laptop. Connected immediately. Here's my one complaint about calling tech support, the tech should have told me to reset all devices. Someone not willing to take the time or accept the answer that a three month old laptop was too old, would not have taken the time to search for an adequate answer to fix the solution, therefore, the easiest way would be to pay the tech support fee. If you contact tech support and the answer they give you does not sound right, search on your own. While their are good tech support agents at Verizon, this one should have given me an adequate response to reset.

jove11

Westell modem disconnects from pc's on a daily basis. I bought a netgear router to improve conncetivity but it didn't solve the problem. This is the westell wireless modem from verizon. Is there a fix or should I just get a better modem that'll work better with the netgear router. The pc's are not far away. this in an apt. setting. I always have to reset the modem to get connectivity back. It's a bit ridiculous already. anyone know the answer or suggestion. thx.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jove1 wrote:

Westell modem disconnects from pc's on a daily basis. I bought a netgear router to improve conncetivity but it didn't solve the problem. This is the westell wireless modem from verizon. Is there a fix or should I just get a better modem that'll work better with the netgear router. The pc's are not far away. this in an apt. setting. I always have to reset the modem to get connectivity back. It's a bit ridiculous already. anyone know the answer or suggestion. thx.

#1 What is the model of this Westell?

#2 Is the Westell running the White and Blue or the Red and Black Firmware?

#3 What is the model of this Netgear router?

0 Likes