Can't connect to ANY website via Internet Explorer browser
Stressedout11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Verizon DSL via desktop computer with just a Westell Infospeed modem that I've had for years with no problem. For past 3 days, after connecting to internet via my DSL, I cannot use Internet Explorer (IE) browser so my DSL is useless to me. Most sites seem to be IE based. Another browser does not work as well with some website features.

In diagnosing the connection problem, IE tells me to change my proxy server. Does Verizon DSL even use a proxy server? .This problem started after I downloaded Norton 360 and cleared out a huge quantity of spyware and malware that my prior security program missed. The Norton download said it detected a proxy server with an address that I didn't know. (Not my IP address) They said something like: If you did not enter this proxy information shown, it could be malware and to skip it or clear it. I therefore checked Do not use Proxy Server.  From that point any website connection via IE is refused. 

Norton support tried to help with many different approaches but to no avail. They finally referred me back to Verizon for help to get more information. I tried but everything was automated and didn't seem to refer to my problem. I don't see where to get non-automated help with this. Has anyone else had this problem? Solution?

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply.

Re: Can't connect to ANY website via Internet Explorer browser
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried contacting Verizon through one of the options here:

http://www.verizon.com/contactus

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to be sure, go to your Control Panel, locate the Internet Options and open that option. From there, choose the Connections Tab, and then click the LAN Settings tab. Make sure everything in the LAN Settings tab is blank and unchecked and press OK.

Lastly, Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open the file called "hosts" in Notepad. Verify that the contents of that file are of the following and only the following:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost

Note that the ::1 Localhost entry is for IPv6 connectivity. If you are running Windows XP or older, that entry might not need to be present. If it is present and you see a very similar file compared to mine with no other entries besides the two I have, it's just fine.

Stressedout11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. I tried the Live Chat and got someone who was very helpful. The lack of IE connectivity did not quite get resolved yet but a work-around via Firefox was provided.  I was told that Firefox is a more secure browser also. It seems to be serving the purpose for now but I hope the IE situation will get resolved also.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a Firefox user myself. Love the browser.

What you can do as well, if you haven't attempted it yet is to give Internet Explorer a complete reset. Tends to fix those tedious-to-fix problems in one shot. If you open your Internet Properties, go to the Advanced Tab and click the Reset Button. From there, just follow any prompts it asks and it should start to work again.

0 Likes