Cannot Host in Xbox Live online multiplayer
wk21030
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have my xbox 360 hardwired, i run through the tests for xbox live and it comes to the internet portion and it gives me a message about my NAT being moderate I have Highspeed internet is there a reason why i'm not hosting? could it be because it's High Speed and not FIOS? I asked in chat and they said that Verizon residential cannot have a static IP address and that's why i can't host. But i've found chat isn't that reputable.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot Host in Xbox Live online multiplayer
wk21030
Enthusiast - Level 3

actually what i did was this.

I set my IP address up in my XBOX as manually.

I went into my router and set the static IP address to the xbox voila it worked.

I tried the DMZ and that screwed me up even more. the only pain in the butt part is having to test every time and not going straight into live.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

0 Likes
wk21030
Enthusiast - Level 3

Westell VersaLink 7500 Gateway
It's a modem/router combo.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

pre-check list for allowing user from the net to connect you:

#1 The Default Gateway on your computer is the same IP Address as the Westell VersaLink 7500?

For example, if on Windows XP

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 In the router go to Advanced -> Private LAN

#3 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

#4 In the router go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play

#5 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this two router, turn off UPnP in the router.

By game console, a special type of computer with no keyboard or mouse (and it/they are usually connected to a TV).

#6 In the router go to System Monitoring  -> Gateway Status

#7 With another web browser Window OR Tab, go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#8 Below the text that says The text below might uniquely identify you on the Internet is an IP Address.

#9 In the web browser window or tab, that is still looking in the router, you should see that same IP Address.

0 Likes
Libra
Enthusiast - Level 2

Man HappyPlease let me know if you are able to fix it.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Libra wrote:

Man HappyPlease let me know if you are able to fix it.

Yes I can, if you follow my directions.

0 Likes
wk21030
Enthusiast - Level 3

now i did all of that some of it is still confusing. I'm in private lan and there are two different IP addresses, should they be? should i change them? i enabled the UPNP i did the IP config but what do i change besides the UPNP? step 8 and 9 i see the same IP address. sorry to keep asking questions. I'm just not too sure what to do.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 At this time, do not adjust the Starting and Ending IP Address.

#2 What are they? For example 192.168.1.15 as the Starting IP and 192.168.1.47 as the Ending IP Address..

0 Likes
wk21030
Enthusiast - Level 3

are you asking what the IP address' are? i'm not home and i don't feel comfortable giving those out on here. I'm not too familiar with IP address' and if you can access my router from your location or its only a local thing.  Bottom line is i did the changes but my NAT is still moderate.

edit: Not to mention when i spoke with the woman at verizon she told me that they would charge me to open the NAT and that the manfacturer did this as a security measure. If i have my own security measures shouldn't i be able to open the NAT as i please w/o having to pay a nominal fee?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wk21030 wrote:

I don't feel comfortable giving those out on here. I'm not too familiar with IP address' and if you can access my router from your location or its only a local thing.

It is a local IP Address. The only people who can access those IP Address(es), are users who are behind your router.

But to save time, I use that example Starting and Ending IP Address.

#1 On the Xbox setup a Static IP

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

#2 The Statis of it, can be either:

a) Above 1 but below 15

b) OR above 47 but below 255

For example 192.168.1.6

#3 In the router forward to the IP Address that you setup on the Xbox.

0 Likes