Re: Cannot get my XP computer to make a wired connection to the Internet in one room of house
nfinance2
Ok, going to try calling Sony now.
0 Likes
Re: Cannot get my XP computer to make a wired connection to the Internet in one room of house
nfinance2

Well that was a waste of $50.  They told me to contact my ISP.

This just doesn't make any sense.

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

nfinance2 wrote:

I have called Verizon twice on this and they told me that my Network card is bad but I took my computer in and it is not my computer.  Our house is all Cat5 wired with the modem located in the Cat 5 box in the closet.  In one of our kids bedrooms, we are trying to connect a computer operating on XP and it will not connect to the Internet.  It is not the cable or jack because there is already another older computer hooked up in this room to same jack and it works fine whenever I switch it back over.  I have taken the XP computer and sucessfully hooked it up in another room and it connects just fine to the Internet.  I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon going through all the set up stuff, local area connection, Obtain IP address and DNS server automatically are both checked, we have reset the IPCONFIG, tried to ping with no success.  This is driving me crazy because the computer does work fine in another room.  Any help as to what could be causing the computer to not work in this room would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi there.  From what you have posted, it seems like you have verified that there is a live feed at the jack, and that this PC can connect at another jack.  If that is true, I would suggest that the only thing that would prevent this PC from connecting at said jack would be an IP conflict.  I would use a good ethernet cable, hook up PC, disconnect ALL other devices from ethernet.  Reset modem.  Power on PC, run an ipconfig /release  ipconfig /renew.  Verify IP address is valid. 

0 Likes
Mrdy

ok, since the ethernet link light is on, it means that your connected to the router.  is there another led blinking beside it ?.  check the PC's Device Manager and make sure the Ethernet card is Enabled.

0 Likes
nfinance2
There is one greed light blinking and the card is enabled in device manager.  Would a system restore help at all?  There is nothing on this PC we need to keep. 
0 Likes
Mrdy
can you cut and paste your ipconfig/all status
0 Likes
nfinance2

Windows IP configuration

Host Name:  kristine

primary DNS Suffix: 

Node Type:  Mixed

IP Routing Enabled:  NO

WINS Proxy Enabled:  NO

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State:  Media disconnected

Description:  Intel (R) PRO/!)) VE Network Connection

Physical Address:  00-13-20-63-B4-F5

0 Likes
nfinance2
That was supposed to be:  Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
0 Likes
Mrdy
That's very odd, the PC ethernet port link light is on, that means it is connected to the router.  However, ipconfig shows that the media is disconnected.  The only thing I can think of is the cable you're using is flaky.  It might have a poor contact on the RJ45 connector itself.
0 Likes
nfinance2

I got this answer in another forum pointing to a cable issue as well.  However, I am thinking it might have something to do with the jack and not the cable.  My question is, why would the other computer connect without any problems?  Do different NIC cards need different jacks or something?  Anyway, this answer leaves me with limited understanding as I am not sure what to do next.

Hard to tell for sure without using a cable testing but the most likely possibilities:

1)TX and RX pair are reversed turning it into a crossover cable. The stuff that works either expects that connection (switch to switch) or supports AutoMDX. AutoMDX automatically detects the far end and configures itself appropriately.

2) Cable is only wired with two of the four pairs and failing machine has Gig NIC. Gig requires all four pairs. Some Gig implementations do not like it when only two pairs are connected.

3) Cable is miswired creating a split-pair. End-to-end continuity is correct but proper pairing is not maintained. In some cases this will work at 10 Mbps but not faster.

4) Some combination of the above. Or poorly terminated cable, too much untwist. Ty-wraps compressing the cable - distorting geometry. Tight turns that distort geometry.

0 Likes