Re: Cannot get my XP computer to make a wired connection to the Internet in one room of house
Mrdy

The card seems to be a 10/100 ethernet card.  one thing you can easily try is to force the card to 10 megabit through the device manager.  I just tried it on my own PC.  If I change my media type in Device manager and set it for full duplex either at 10 or 100 mbit, I lose my connection.  But if I set it to 1 or 100 half duplex, it works fine.  My PC is wired to a 10/100 hub (never realized it's only half duplex) because I don't have enough ports on the router.

0 Likes
Re: Cannot get my XP computer to make a wired connection to the Internet in one room of house
nfinance2
I wouldn't even know how to change that?  I don't even understand the lingo.  Verizon actually called ME today to see if my problem was fixed, ran me through some more checks and they conclude that my network card needs to be replaced and put in a different slot.  We are going to try that today to see if that takes care of the problem.  We did hook up my laptop to that same jack and it connected fine so something is up with the PC in question even though it works in a different room in the house.
0 Likes
NewDSL

I feel bad for anyone having computer and/or internet connection problems.

But since other computers you have work fine on internet from this room; isn't it obvious that the only problem can be with this specific computer?

That being the case, I am surprised that Verizon would give you the time of day in trying to help you.

It doesn't seem to be anything wrong with Verizon at all.  And I say this knowing that all companies 

first tell you that the problem is with another company in the chain.  But in this case, it really seems to be true. 

0 Likes
nfinance2
Well, Best Buy tested my network card and they wouldn't even put a new one in my computer because they said it doesn't need a new card.  It worked fine at their store as well as the other rooms in the house.  They did a couple of tweeks and I brought it home only to be at the same problem.  I also connected another wireless router we use in that room and then plugged the computer directly into the back of that router and now the computer shows that it is connected and is sending and receiving packets but I still cannot get onto the Internet in that room.  Verizon is supposed to call me tomorrow to check in.
0 Likes
Mrdy
any progress?
0 Likes
nfinance2
Well, Verizon had their "experts" call me and they decided that I do need to change the network card.  I am going to pick up one this week and give it a try.  Something about maybe my old network card isn't reading the pins in the cable or something like that.  Gonna give it a try and I will post the results.
0 Likes
lik2bik

I had somewhat of a similar problem or should I say problems.  My wireless and wired connections worked for a few days, then suddenly one of the wired connections went out - then came back and my wired connection went - and then my wired and wireless connections continued to go in and out.  Spent hours with FIOS tech support on a couple of calls which including troubleshooting, restoring my computer to a setpoint, to being told that it was my network card when I was first having problems with only the wired (since they could write of the wireless to a dropped connection that I didn't have with DSL) - and them sending a new router after I insisted (and having worked with Dell on my PC/network card) that it wasn't the network card.  Got a new router, reset all my wireless connections to the new SSID and WEP key - and same problem.  Another call to Verizon (and me insisting on not going through the same process) got the Tech to look at the ONT box and figure out there was problem - which they "reset" remotely and everything has been fine for over 3 weeks now.

0 Likes