Change minimum MTU on 7500 modem
Tim123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to set up xbox live and the xbox gives me this error:

Your network does not have a sufficient MTU setting. Xbox LIVE requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364.
Does anyone know how to change this setting on a Verizon 7500 DSL modem? I can't find it, I tried Verizon support live chat and they couldn't find it either.
Thanks.
Re: Change minimum MTU on 7500 modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server(s) are on your computer.

This means for example, if you are Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 The Default Gateway on your computer should be the same IP Address as the LAN IP of this Westell.

#3 If the answer to step 2 is no, then you are Double NATTED.

#4 If you are Double NATTED, what is the brand and model of the router that is connected to this Westell?

0 Likes
Tim123
Enthusiast - Level 2

The IPs aren't the same so it appears I'm double NATTED. I have a Westell 7500 modem router.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tim123 wrote:

The IPs aren't the same so it appears I'm double NATTED.

Ok.

#1 This is what I know: The Westll 7500 is connected to the phone line and a power line / a power supply.

#2 Please check what else is physically connected to this Westell.

#3 Then please tell me what else physically is connected to this Westell, besides the two things that I listed above (item/step 1 in this post).

#4 If this Westell 7500 is not connected to a phone line, please check what else besides the power line / power supply is connected, and then please report back.

0 Likes
Tim123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Physically connected to the Westell 7500 are:

1. Power supply.

2. Phone line.

3. Two PCs via ethernet cables.

4. Xbox via eternet cable.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Appaholic
Enthusiast - Level 1

Simple, go to your routers home page and change your firewall setting to none. But you sure you have some serious protection on your home network. To get it flowing nicely you should also, go to QoS and choose xbox live.

Any other questions holla

kevslady306

what is QoS?

0 Likes
lorenah

I'm trying to conect my x-boxlive, but I'm getting the same errow

Change minimum MTU on 7500 modem

Can somebody help me

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Is the 7500's firewall on, and do you have any ports forwarded? Also, the default MTU for Ethernet is 1500 which is what the 7500 defaults to. PPPoE restricts the MTU to 1492, which results in 1472 actual MTU.