Complicated upgrade
pelletierm06

My landlord provides DSL service to my property, but it's at a very low rate of 1mbps. I'd like to upgrade the speed, but the service is in my landlords name, and she doesn't want to change the plan. Is there any way for me to go about doing this? Verizon's rate is $55/mo plus taxes and fees just for 3.0-7mbps, because the salesman says I need to have the phone line on my bill, because you have to pay for phone to get internet, even though my landlord already has an account for the property.

I really wish there was a way for me to only buy the internet; especially since verizon isn't running any new customer specials for DSL. 

0 Likes
Re: Complicated upgrade
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your landlord have phone service on the account or is it just the DSL? I don't know what Verizon's policy is for second DSL lines these days and whether or not they'd hook up dry loops at a location serviced by a phone line already.

You could also consider looking at a DSL Reseller. Most can sell you DSL without the phone line requirement. From there you can run the DSL over secondary wire pairs.

Otherwise you'd have to come to agreement with your landlord to adjust the speed of the current DSL connection. I would agree, 1Mbps is awful slow.

0 Likes