Switch Account

Connecting Hard drive to Verizon Actiontec GT784WNV

Connecting Hard drive to Verizon Actiontec GT784WNV

SOLVED
Contributor stevenk
Contributor
Message 1 of 6
(16,058 Views)

Hello, I want to connect a hard drive to my Actiontec GT784WNV wireless router, so all of the computers in my office can access files on it.  I also have another router connected to the Actiontec (Cisco Linksys router) to accommodate more wireless computers.  I have looked all over the internet and I am not sure if the USB port on the Actiontec router has NAS support.  Thanks to everyone for the help!

5 REPLIES 5
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 6
(16,036 Views)

Sorry but the Actiontec router USB port is not activated for use.

Jim

Contributor stevenk
Contributor
Message 3 of 6
(15,971 Views)

Thanks Jim for your reply.  So now what should my next step be?  Is there a way I could get a different model router from Verizon to accomplish what I want to do?  I need all of the computers on both routers to be able to connect to this external hard drive, so I wouldn't want to just plug it into my second router.  Thanks for the help!

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 6
(15,966 Views)

None of the routers Verizon supplies (except for maybe their D-Link router?) support networking a USB drive. You're best off getting a dedicated USB <> Ethernet device or NAS if you want to plug the hard drive into your router. Performance over USB otherwise is going to abysmal due to a lack of power in the router. USB tends to have a lot of overhead associated with it.

Contributor stevenk
Contributor
Message 5 of 6
(15,913 Views)

Thank you. This is what I thought the solution was for my needs, however I haven't seen a definite answer anywhere. 

I was looking at a USB to Ethernet connecter like:

http://www.amazon.com/Cirago-International-NUS2000-CiragoLink-Network/dp/B005C31H34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UT...

and connect my own hard drive, or an NAS like:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Voyager-Wireless-Ethernet-CMFAIR-BLK-500-NA/dp/B00B4OCWE8/ref=sr_1_20?...

After considering all options, I have decided to go with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNI4A90/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_ir03?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=ce...

Would this purchase be the solution to my problem?

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 6 of 6
(15,887 Views)

Something like that should work fine. You can probably go a bit cheaper especially if you're not intending to max the NAS out in Gigabit situations, but it's still a good pick.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.