Connecting Hard drive to Verizon Actiontec GT784WNV
stevenk3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I want to connect a hard drive to my Actiontec GT784WNV wireless router, so all of the computers in my office can access files on it.  I also have another router connected to the Actiontec (Cisco Linksys router) to accommodate more wireless computers.  I have looked all over the internet and I am not sure if the USB port on the Actiontec router has NAS support.  Thanks to everyone for the help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting Hard drive to Verizon Actiontec GT784WNV
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

None of the routers Verizon supplies (except for maybe their D-Link router?) support networking a USB drive. You're best off getting a dedicated USB <> Ethernet device or NAS if you want to plug the hard drive into your router. Performance over USB otherwise is going to abysmal due to a lack of power in the router. USB tends to have a lot of overhead associated with it.

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Sorry but the Actiontec router USB port is not activated for use.

Jim

stevenk3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Jim for your reply.  So now what should my next step be?  Is there a way I could get a different model router from Verizon to accomplish what I want to do?  I need all of the computers on both routers to be able to connect to this external hard drive, so I wouldn't want to just plug it into my second router.  Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

None of the routers Verizon supplies (except for maybe their D-Link router?) support networking a USB drive. You're best off getting a dedicated USB <> Ethernet device or NAS if you want to plug the hard drive into your router. Performance over USB otherwise is going to abysmal due to a lack of power in the router. USB tends to have a lot of overhead associated with it.

stevenk3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. This is what I thought the solution was for my needs, however I haven't seen a definite answer anywhere. 

I was looking at a USB to Ethernet connecter like:

http://www.amazon.com/Cirago-International-NUS2000-CiragoLink-Network/dp/B005C31H34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UT...

and connect my own hard drive, or an NAS like:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Voyager-Wireless-Ethernet-CMFAIR-BLK-500-NA/dp/B00B4OCWE8/ref=sr_1_20?...

After considering all options, I have decided to go with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNI4A90/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_ir03?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=ce...

Would this purchase be the solution to my problem?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Something like that should work fine. You can probably go a bit cheaper especially if you're not intending to max the NAS out in Gigabit situations, but it's still a good pick.