Connecting Westell 6100G to Netgear n300 Wireless Router
Barry871
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've just purchased a netgear n300 wireless router.   My question is would I defintely need to set the Westell 6100G modem to bridge mode?  After I do that I simply connect the wireless router to the modem and then the router to the computer via one of the ports?  After that is done would I need to do anything else?   Would I be asked for my verizon login and password in order to get connected?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting Westell 6100G to Netgear n300 Wireless Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's recommended to bridge your modem as the modem itself does have an integrated router, even though it only has one Network port to connect up with. You have to split it up using a switch if you wish to really use it as a wired router. The reason why you bridge is so that your router holds your Public IP address rather than the modem. This avoids a condition known as "Double NAT" which game consoles dislike, VPNs tend to be iffy with, and Port Forwarding becomes a pain to do as you have to do it twice.

Yes, Bridge the modem. As far as the Netgear is concerned, if your modem reports that it is using PPPoE, the Username and Password you will need to use will be the master login you use for your DSL account. In the Netgear, it will auto detect that you use PPPoE in most circumstances however, it won't automatically pull your username and password. In some cases it may just connect right up if Verizon still does OpenPPPoE. Otherwise, if you're using a Setup program that came with the router it should ask you for your username or password to connect up. If not, Netgear has changed their firmware around in recent years, but in most cases it is under the Basic Setup or "Internet" section of your router for adding in a PPPoE username and password. The best place to look for this would be the user guide for your router. It should detail how to set up your connection based on what you're using.

View solution in original post

skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

You don't need to bridge anything just hook up your router like you would any router. Put your ethernet wire on your modem and that ethernet wire goes to ethernet or internet or whatever its called there should be a gap not close to each other like the other lan ports and just setup your router.

0 Likes
Barry871
Enthusiast - Level 1

I asked about bridge mode because I was told that's what Verizon recommends.

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/questionsthree/1237...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

The directions for bridging the modem are pretty straight forward but I'm afraid I'll have to end up playing with a bunch of other settings.  If I can just hook it up as you say and go into the routers settings that would be ideal.  I just want to make sure I maintain a good internet connection.  I suppose I should give your way a try and check the connection speed.  Thanks.  

0 Likes
Barry871
Enthusiast - Level 1

My main concern is If I do put the 6100 in bridge mode would the router automatically obtain my Verizon username and password?  If not, where would I be able to enter it? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's recommended to bridge your modem as the modem itself does have an integrated router, even though it only has one Network port to connect up with. You have to split it up using a switch if you wish to really use it as a wired router. The reason why you bridge is so that your router holds your Public IP address rather than the modem. This avoids a condition known as "Double NAT" which game consoles dislike, VPNs tend to be iffy with, and Port Forwarding becomes a pain to do as you have to do it twice.

Yes, Bridge the modem. As far as the Netgear is concerned, if your modem reports that it is using PPPoE, the Username and Password you will need to use will be the master login you use for your DSL account. In the Netgear, it will auto detect that you use PPPoE in most circumstances however, it won't automatically pull your username and password. In some cases it may just connect right up if Verizon still does OpenPPPoE. Otherwise, if you're using a Setup program that came with the router it should ask you for your username or password to connect up. If not, Netgear has changed their firmware around in recent years, but in most cases it is under the Basic Setup or "Internet" section of your router for adding in a PPPoE username and password. The best place to look for this would be the user guide for your router. It should detail how to set up your connection based on what you're using.