Connecting a new Windows 7 computer to Verizon internet
ggeinec

Hello - I will be adding a brand new computer with Windows 7 to my friend's current Verizon internet service, High Speed Internet (DSL). Do I need to know any username/password or other configuration information to establish the internet connection or will Windows 7 be able to detect, configure and connect by itself once we plug in the ethernet cable?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Connecting a new Windows 7 computer to Verizon internet
firemandude
Enthusiast - Level 3

As far as the Internet is concerned, No, you won't need a username and password just to access the web. However, you will need this information for acess to Verizon's Web based email or if you are using an external email program.

The Username and Password for the DSL account is stored in the DSL modem. As long as you don't do a factory reset on the modem you should be fine.

For the configuration, as long as the Ethernet is enabled on the new pc and TCP/IP is installed you should be good to go. (usually this is by default).

ggeinec

Thanks firemandude, this is what I thought. But better to be safe than sorry . . .

0 Likes
VZ_KG
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you are setting up the new computer to work wirelessly and you are using a Verizon wireless-nabled modem, then you will also need the wi-fi credentials from your modem. Either you can login to the modem or you can use Verizon In-Home Agent (IHA) software (http://www.verizon.com/connect). IHA provides an easy, automated way to set up wireless on a PC, troubleshoot connectivity issues or set up email accounts. You may want to check it out.

0 Likes
oldbaldy2

Dear Sir;

My account was on windows XP but my computer crashed and I had to update to windows 7. Alot of my files were unable to go on to it. I was running  Outlook Express for my e-mail account. I am abe to get on the web site but unable to restore the Outlook Express for my email.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oldbaldy2 wrote:

Dear Sir;

My account was on windows XP but my computer crashed and I had to update to windows 7. Alot of my files were unable to go on to it. I was running  Outlook Express for my e-mail account. I am abe to get on the web site but unable to restore the Outlook Express for my email.

That's because Outlook Express was retired as a mail program as of Windows Vista. Windows XP was the last OS to include it. You will need to use Windows Mail, or Windows Live Mail, or another program such as Thunderbird and if you have your old Outlook Express Data file you will need to re-import all of your mail into one of the newer programs.

0 Likes
bigmiketruex

computer is telling me verizon is not installed right.

0 Likes