Connecting more than one computer to DSL

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting more than one computer to DSL

Message 1 of 9
(8,466 Views)

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out here since I'm not very tech savvy at all.

I currently have Verizon DSL, I have my desktop hooked up to a Westell 6100F. I have another desktop upstairs that I would also like to be able to use to go online. I know I need a router, but I'm wondering which is the best kind? And will I need anything else to be able to hook up both computers to the internet? I also might be getting a laptop in the near future, will that change what kind of router I will need?

Thanks to anyone who can help! 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Re: Connecting more than one computer to DSL

Message 2 of 9
(8,421 Views)

#1 Before doing anything else, let us check if your modem is a modem combo in router mode. You will understand latter on what this means, when we get there...

#2 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Server(s) on your computer.

As how to do this, will depend on your OS and Version. Since most people that I know use Windows XP, these are the directions for that OS and Version.

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 With your web browser go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/

#4 Please for security/privacy reasons, only anwer my question - DO NOT post the IP Address.

Is any of the IP Address(es) on your computer the same as the IP Address on that site?

--

#4 Do you want to use Wireless for this laptop?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 9
(8,402 Views)

Hi, thanks for replying.

No, the IP address on the website does not match any on my computer.

And yes, I would like to use wireless for the laptop

Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 4 of 9
(8,375 Views)

Also, do you plan on running an ethernet cable from the router location to the upstairs PC or do you want to connect to it via wireless ?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 5 of 9
(8,354 Views)

@nebet wrote:

No, the IP address on the website does not match any on my computer.

Ok, that is what I thought..
Your modem is a modem combo acting in router mode.
For example, if you get a RJ-45 WAN port router (like the Linksys WRT54), be sure to follow.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 9
(8,353 Views)

Yes, I would also like to connect to the upstairs computer via wireless.

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 7 of 9
(8,350 Views)

@nebet wrote:

Yes, I would also like to connect to the upstairs computer via wireless.

Ok..
Now it get's a little more tricky...
#1 What kind of Wireless Speed would you like?
#2 How much money will you be willing to spend?
#3 What kind of range do you need?
As need be, I pojnt you to
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/learningcenter/WirelessStandards
and to http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/learningcenter/Hotspots

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 9
(8,345 Views)

Thank you very much for the links., they are very informative. Looking at the chart, I think the Wireless-G router WRT54G2 would suit me fine. I'm not looking for a ton of speed or range right now and I'm not looking to spend a lot either. 🙂

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 9 of 9
(8,271 Views)

@nebet wrote:

Thank you very much for the links., they are very informative. Looking at the chart, I think the Wireless-G router WRT54G2 would suit me fine. I'm not looking for a ton of speed or range right now and I'm not looking to spend a lot either. 🙂

Or, some other wireless router with Wireless G. It does not have to be from Linksys.

^^

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.