Connection Dropping Constantly
viper92583

For the last couple weeks, I have been experiencing severe slow-downs on my internet connection.  I have a 7M/768k DSL plan, and have barely been getting 1M/128k, if it's even connecting.  It took me 10 minutes and several attempts to actually get the forum to allow me to register, and that was after getting onto the website.  What can I do, because the connection was lightning fast until just a short time ago, and now suddenly I'm noticing dial-up speed and stability, at best...

My modem is a Actiontec GT704-WGB, F/W: 30.17.0.

I could even give you the serial number if that would help.  I can provide any additional information needed, but would like to get this resolved ASAP, as this is not what I'm paying for...

0 Likes
Re: Connection Dropping Constantly
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=194

#1 Since this is a wireless dsl modem...

a) Is wireless in the router on?

b) If so, what level of wireless security is it set to ( WEP / WPA )?

#2 In the router go to Status -> DSL Status

#3 Post the info that is there.

#4 In the router go to Advanced -> UPnP (Universal Plug and Play).

#5 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this two router, turn off UPnP in the router.

By game console, a special type of computer with no keyboard or mouse (and it/they are usually connected to a TV).

0 Likes
viper92583

Wireless is on...

WEP security

DSL Status:

VPI:  0

VCI:  35

DSL Mode Setting:  Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode:  G.DMT

Connection Status:  Showtime

Speed (down/up):  7616 / 864 kbps

ATM QoS class:  UBR

Output Power (Downstream / Upstream):  11.9 / 17.9 dBm

Attainable Rate (Downstream / Upstream):  10784 / 1156 kbps

HEC Errors (Downstream / Upstream):  426 / 0

OCD Errors (Downstream / Upstream):  1 / 0

LCD Errors (Downstream / Upstream):  0 / 0

SNR Margin (Downstream / Upstream):  16.9 / 12.0 dB

Attenuation (Downstream / Upstream):  37.5 / 17.0 dB

Just from what I know of networking, this seems almost normal, but I'm still experiencing major reliability and performance issues...

0 Likes
jlee203

I find it interesting that you are also from Lafayette. I have been having trouble for the last week or so staying online. My connection is great when it works, but at least 4-5 times an hour it just stops working. It will come back after about 2-3 minutes, without having to do anything.

0 Likes
pahaso

Looks like it's a local problem. I'm in Lafayette, IN, too.

I've having a similar problem since last week. Tech guys say they don't find anything wrong on their end, but I keep getting dropped every hour or so. While it's connected, everything works fine. When the connection is gone, modem lights would remain as when connection is good (DSL solid, INTERNET and DATA blinking), but I simply can't connect. I tried getting a new modem from Best Buy, but disconnection seemed to get worse with that. I hope I can get a refund...

Do you live near Pheasant Run? I wonder if it'll take a while for the problem to be fixed since it's more at the source...

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Modems may have problems after some time.  If you have not changed anything the problem is likely the line quality or the modem itself.  Verizon will replace old modems usually with the return of the old unit.  You need a field tech to verify the line integrity and the modem condition.The tech usually cannot replace the modem but can check if all is well. You also might connect the modem to the jack in the box (NIC) on the outside of the house to determine if the inside wiring is alone causing the problem.

0 Likes
viper92583

I actually do live near Pheasant Run...in that I live in Pheasant Run...

I have to admit, when I first read that, I was thinking "how can an internet problem tell you where I live?"

I have been having the same issue, although mine has actually been slow even when it is working.  I used to be able to get faster than advertised speeds on the DSL, but now I'm looking at 20% advertised speed, when it's working, and that's a pretty optimistic estimate...Kinda frustrating, if you ask me...and I'm usually a pretty patient guy...

Advertised speeds are those in the specs in my prior post...But I've lately benchmarked the connection well below 2 Mbps down, 384 kbps up...And at times, I have gotten faster upload than download...

0 Likes
jlee203

So that's three unsatisfied customers living in the same apartment complex experiencing the same problem.

Is there anyone that can get this thread (or the others) forwarded to someone important?

0 Likes
Isaque

I'm also experiencing the same problems and live in the area. I really hope they get this fixed soon. Has anyone forwarded this information on?

0 Likes