Connection Loss... Again... and Again... And Again...
Shymere

Hello,

My name is Olivier. I live with my girlfriend Nathalie in a building located in Cambridge, MA where people are using either Comcast or Verizon.

I've been a Verizon customer since May 2009, and to be fair, I'm not very happy with my experience with High-Speed Internet Advanced without phone or tv services.

I remember that at the very start, internet access was very smooth and that lasted may be 6 months. Since that, we had some short periods during when everything was ok, and long period during when we experienced the intermittent connection loss.

We called the verizon customer services too many times.

The last time was in 2010. Always nice and friendly, they replied to our request. Some of their agents came to check the moden (Westell 7500), the cables, the plugs, the box in the building basement (I guess the NID ?), and some other mysterious things. They did not fix the problem immediately, but once again, thanks to obscure events, connection went back to smooth few weeks after their visit.

Today, we have troubles again. Connection loss have been frequent since the start of September (anything linked with student house movings  -> new customers -> new network adjustements ? )

Once again, we have to reboot our box again and again, around 20 times per day, knowing that we both have a job and are not in our place from 9am to 8pm. We checked everything :

1. ·      We don't have residential phones
  2. ·      laptops are in the same room than the router
  3. .      The modem has already been exchanged
  4. ·      we have changed the SSID and made it invisible
  5. ·      we changed the password
  6. ·      we tried to use another phone jack
  7. ·      we moved the box where there is no electronic devices, metal objects or electrical equipments
  8. ·      we changed the channel of our router

The only thing that works is to reboot the gateway, to get internet for few (1 - 2) minutes. It seems to lasts a little bit longer at night (after 10pm ?) and during the day

To give you more details, here is other information:

Thanks in advance for your help,

Olivier

P.S : I had to restart my modem 7 times between the start and the end of this post writing !  :o/

P.S 2 : We are working in business and research, we really need a reliable internet connection !

0 Likes
Re: Connection Loss... Again... and Again... And Again...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems the attached Transceiver Statistics and Speed test result never made it into the post. The attachments are missing. If possible, could you copy/paste the statistics into a post?

0 Likes
cas1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been going through this too. It was bad for a while then they went back to work and it got better but lately it has been really bad again especially at certain times of the day. Just so frustrating. I know you get what you pay for and the price is good, but it really interferes with my life. I am dependent on my internet. Looking for an alternative. Hate to have to switch companies again. I think they are trying to get us all do drop DSL and get the Fios but it is so expensive!

0 Likes
Shymere

Sorry for the pictures missing...

Here are the transceiver statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)7616864
Margin (dB)16.210.0
Line Attenuation (dB)17.010.0
Transmit Power (dBm)16.711.9

0 Likes
Shymere

And the Speed Test :

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [131768]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 759.76Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 5.80Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = x86_64, Version = 10.6.8
Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.6.0_26

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 524280 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 318.86 msec; the Packet size = 1440 Bytes; and 
There were 397 packets retransmitted, 1086 duplicate acks received, and 1270 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.64 seconds (5.33%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 7.33% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 46.08% of the time.
This connection is network limited 46.6% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [71.126.236.86] but Client says [192.168.1.42]

Thanks again for your help !!

I count on you  🙂

Oliv

0 Likes
Shymere

@cas123 wrote:

I have been going through this too. It was bad for a while then they went back to work and it got better but lately it has been really bad again especially at certain times of the day. Just so frustrating. I know you get what you pay for and the price is good, but it really interferes with my life. I am dependent on my internet. Looking for an alternative. Hate to have to switch companies again. I think they are trying to get us all do drop DSL and get the Fios but it is so expensive!

I don't think so.

I already checked on Verizon website. I'm not eligible to Fios... so there is really no reason to provide us a crappy internet connection  !

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems the images appeared in your original post! How strange...

I don't see anything that really stands out as being the issue relating to your disconnection issues at the moment. The line is running pretty good and could probably go for 15Mbps when ADSL2+ is applied to it. Could you Pastebin.com a copy of your modem's log after a period of time where you see intermittent connection? That should indicate if it is due to a physical issue with the connection or due to something more with the PPPoE session. Unless the modem is having problems with other things the log should contain enough info on a few disconnections.

Another piece of info, does the connection drop out at particular times of the day or when certain events outside/inside your home take place?

0 Likes
Shymere

Hi Smith ! Thanks for your time and your help...

So first, I didn't know exactly what you meant when you said pastebin.com your modem's log... I've done something, hope it's good.

Click here for modem's log

Disconnection at 8:13 on the log. Interestingly, it was 9:13 when that happened. Where can I change the current date and time of the modem ?

If it is not what you asked me to do, please give me further details on the procedure to follow  🙂

Concerning your second question, to be fair, I don't really know. If I was pushed to give an answer, I would say in a specific range of time during the day i.e. from 8 to 10 am, and from 8 to 10 pm, but it's not that clear !  Most of the time, that happens in this range, but not always...  and also, we are less often at home during the day...

However, I can say that we never had any problems with the connections late in the night... or i don't remember it...

Has it been helpful ?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It does help. The log does seem to be suggesting the drops taking place towards the night time hours, but there isn't enough information to correlate it with a specific time, since the log indicates the modem had rebooted within a day of getting that log.

If it correlates with the night time/morning hours, does it also correlate to a time where Street Lights are turning on or off? If it does not, I would suggest getting Verizon out to check the line to ensure nothing is inserting noise into the line, and I would also have them check the status of the DSLAM to ensure a component is not malfunctioning.

0 Likes