Consistent DSL speed issue whether wireless or wired
BKinBK
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've had the Verizon 1.5-3mbps Residential DSL for years and we've consistently had download speeds that never exceed 200kbps.  We've called customer support and they've run all of the line tests (which always come out fine) and then they make a call to the local center, who then leave me a voicemail a day later and tell me that I should see speed increases within the day.  Of course, the speed increases never happen.  So, now that's getting to be an issue to even watch a standard def Netflix movie without buffering issues, I'm beginning to lose my patience and hoping to find some relief in this forum.

Here is (hopefully) all of the relevant info:

- Actiontec GT704-WG modem/router (firmware version 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.1.3)

- Both my roommate and I are using Macs running OS 10.6.7 (I'm on an iMac and she's on a Macbook Pro -- both with Airport Extreme; we've had this issue using every operating system since Tiger, and also using different Macs throughout the years)

- We're both running wirelessly, but we have the same speed when we're plugged directly into the router via ethernet -- we see no increase by being wired in.

- We use the OS X app-specific firewall, though we've also turned it off to no effect.  Also, no other security or virus-protection.

- WEP security

- The modem/router always lists our current down/up speed as: 1792 / 448 kbps.  Again, while we never exceed 200kbps download, we actually achieve about 350kbps upload.

I'd be happy to supply any other necessary information.  Hope someone can help.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Consistent DSL speed issue whether wireless or wired
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alrighty. In this case, yes just ask Verizon if they can add ADSL2+ to the line. The phone reps may not know what this is at first, some may direct you to the 10-15Mbps package which requires ADSL2+, but then some might also be able to put the request in for you. None the less, it should be available to use (with some DSLAMs, it's a simple software upgrade). Trying out the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports may help you obtain ADSL2+ quicker. Additionally, there are some Verizon employees who help people out around here that tend to stop by. If one of them can help you with this, that would be awesome as well. It's also worthwhile to see what can be done to the line itself, should ADSL2+ be unable to be provisioned for whatever reason so that the speed may increase.

As for Actual Throughput you're receiving, let's figure that out now. On a Hardwired PC with nothing else using the connection, perform this speed/network tes from one of the following servers, posting up the details and Statistics portions of the test:

http://ndt.iupui.lga01.measurement-lab.org:7123/

http://ndt.iupui.lga02.measurement-lab.org:7123/

http://web100.rit.edu:7123/

Both servers are located in New York City, with the RIT server being located in Rochester on campus to RIT. Additionally, visit http://lg.dreamhost.com/ perform a traceroute to your connection, posting up the results. The final hop in the trace will be your connection, and it will show your IP address along with your Hostname containing your IP address. Remove your IP address before posting up the trace.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the Actiontec GT704-WG go to Status -> DSL Status

#2 Post the info that you see there.

#3 You should be are aware that WEP can hacked into in about 1 to 2 minutes.

Source..

Security Now! with Steve Gibson, Episode 89 for April 26, 2007: Even More Badly Broken WEP

This is at

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-089.pdf

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-089.txt

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-089.htm

0 Likes
BKinBK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.  Here's the DSL status from the Actiontec:

VPI: 0
VCI: 35
DSL Mode Setting: MMODE
DSL Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: Showtime
Speed (down/up): 1792 / 448 Kbps
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors: 9/0
Far End CRC Errors: 299/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins): 0/0
Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins): 0/0
Near End RS FEC: 748/0
Far End RS FEC: 55235/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins): 0/0
Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins): 0/0
Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins): 0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 13/23
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 38/25

As far as WEP security goes, this is the modem that Verizon sent us, and as far as I can tell, there's no WPA option.  I've been considering getting a new modem/router altogether (with 802.11n, since both of our Macs can use it), but I want to troubleshoot the speed issue first to make sure that it's not just a modem/router issue.

Also, just to be clear, I understand the translation of kbps to mbps.  So, our average download speed is usually about 150-175kbps, which would put us in the 1.2-1.4mbps arena.  Like I said, we never exceed 200kbps, which would put us just over the minimum at 1.6mbps (and that happens once every other month or so).  If this is an issue of congestion, I'd be willing to pay the extra $5/month for 4-7mbps service if it guaranteed at least the minimum, which would be more than double our current speed.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your line won't take the 4-7Mbps package in it's current state. At the moment, it would barely hold 3Mbps, despite being in range for 3Mbps due to noise. If you have access to your NID, getting the Transceiver Statistics you posted above from the NID may give better results. If you don't have access to a NID, check over your home's wiring to make sure everything is free of corrosion and nothing is unfiltered or has dirt on them.

I'm reading what you mentioned as your download being 200 Kilobits a second, which is very bad but is something we can probably get solved as well. Your line should be testing at 1500 Kilobits (kbps) and be downloading at 188KB/s (Kilobytes a second). Netflix should be able to stream with little issue on a 1.5Mbps connection, provided you give it the minute or so it needs to buffer up data.

BKinBK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the mixup -- I meant to post as KB/sec.  Yes, we're getting (on average) 150-175 KB/sec download.  We rarely get above 180.  And, yes, we do successfully get Netflix streams (never HD, because of the speed), but all-too-often we end up in the buffer zone, even with a fairly decent leeway.  It takes hours to download a standard def movie from iTunes.

My frustration is around the fact that we barely ever hit the 1.5Mbps speed, and 1.5-3 is a no-man's land that we NEVER see.  This makes HD streaming virtually impossible.  Hence my willingness to just go to the next tier, but it sounds like that's not even possible?  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the NID.  I'm in an apartment building, which also makes checking on the wiring difficult, as well.  I'm willing to stick with Verizon if there's a solution.  But, it also has me wondering about cable as an alternative.

Again, sorry for the speed confusion!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It isn't a problem. Under ideal conditions, I could simply have you ask Verizon to boost your speed to the full 3Mbps rate. In this case, we can still try to attain 3Mbps connectivity by adding ADSL2+ to the line. This is something Verizon will have to do, but ADSL2+ offers some advantages over traditional G.DMT mode that should allow you to squeeze by. Even then, if you can find a way to see if your apartment manager can do something to either allow you to access your NID for a few minutes or perhaps improve your wiring, that would help. Additionally, having Verizon come out to see if they can improve the line to hit 3Mbps would help. Then of course if nothing can absolutely be done, Cable would be a solution. Just make sure you check with others in your apartment to see if the Cable is having issues maintaining speed, and that you keep the DSL online for a few weeks after the Cable is brought online to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Now that you mention being unable to reach the full 188KB/s speed, that could honestly be from congestion, or you could be seeing a fairly common Juniper ERX issue if you're being routed through particular equipment in the CO. We can get more in-depth in checking into that if you wish. We'll need to run a reverse Trace Route to your connection and would also need to run a test download to check for speed consistency.

BKinBK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oddly, I just noticed that the telephone wall socket that we have in the apartment is actually a small box that says "Network Interface" on it.  It's not a traditional phone jack.  We live in a three-story house that's been converted into apartments (on each floor) and my roommate recalls that when they came to install DSL about 5/6 years ago, there wasn't a phone jack on this floor, so they installed that box, which is where our modem/router is directly connected to.  Is this anything relevant?

Also, we received a voicemail from Verizon the other day saying that we should see a speed increase.  This morning, I noticed that our upload speed was double what it normally was (this was confirmed in the router, where our download/upload speeds are now listed as: 2112/864 kbps (yes, it's kbps this time).  This is a difference from when I originally posted this message.  So, our upload speed doubled, but our download speed barely increased.  We're now seeing average download speeds of 170-190 KB/sec, which is a nominal speed gain (still not hitting over 200).

Wondering if I should make another call to Verizon?  Also, the ADSL2+ that you mentioned sounds promising.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like they currently have you provisioned for the 3Mbps provisioning rates now, rather than having you hard capped at 1.5Mbps. At this point, it's getting ADSL2+ added into the line as well as finding a way to get the line running better, and you'll see the speed go up every few days if all goes well.

That box is Relevant. If nothing else is plugged into the Network Interface, it might be worth it to get Verizon out to see what they can do on their end of things to improve the line for more speed.

BKinBK
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off, thanks for the help with this.

So, am I correct in assuming that I should simply get on the phone with Verizon and let them know that my (download) speeds are still relatively the same as they were, and also request that ADSL2+ be added to the line?  In asking about the ADSL2+, would I literally ask for just that?

And yes, nothing else is plugged into that Network Interface -- it's just a direct connection to the modem/router.  Though, to be clear, there's only one port on it (which is what the modem is plugged into).

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alrighty. In this case, yes just ask Verizon if they can add ADSL2+ to the line. The phone reps may not know what this is at first, some may direct you to the 10-15Mbps package which requires ADSL2+, but then some might also be able to put the request in for you. None the less, it should be available to use (with some DSLAMs, it's a simple software upgrade). Trying out the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports may help you obtain ADSL2+ quicker. Additionally, there are some Verizon employees who help people out around here that tend to stop by. If one of them can help you with this, that would be awesome as well. It's also worthwhile to see what can be done to the line itself, should ADSL2+ be unable to be provisioned for whatever reason so that the speed may increase.

As for Actual Throughput you're receiving, let's figure that out now. On a Hardwired PC with nothing else using the connection, perform this speed/network tes from one of the following servers, posting up the details and Statistics portions of the test:

http://ndt.iupui.lga01.measurement-lab.org:7123/

http://ndt.iupui.lga02.measurement-lab.org:7123/

http://web100.rit.edu:7123/

Both servers are located in New York City, with the RIT server being located in Rochester on campus to RIT. Additionally, visit http://lg.dreamhost.com/ perform a traceroute to your connection, posting up the results. The final hop in the trace will be your connection, and it will show your IP address along with your Hostname containing your IP address. Remove your IP address before posting up the trace.