Constant internet problems
xadianx

I'll try to make this as clear as possible.

I'm currently runing Windows Vista 31 bit SP2

I have a westell 6100g modem (wired)

When i first set up the dsl everything was fine but after about 2 months I started having a issue with sudden loss off internet.The internet icon on my taskbar would say "local connection only" instead of" local and internet."When this would happen none of my browsers would work,but applications such as AIM would still connect.

Also when this happened the lights on my modem remained the same (solid and not showing a problem) The only way to fix this was for me to do a full restart of my pc and modem.

I have called customer service over and over and they sent me a new 6100 modem..this did not fix my issue.I'm at a loss to what is the problem.I have even reinstalled vista twice!

So let me run this down again..my modem says everthing is working properly but vista is telling me i have only local connection.I have no firewalls..no bad software nothing.i have spent hours upon hours trying to fix this so if anyone has any ideas of what the issue could be please respond.

thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Constant internet problems
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Post the modem status from the modem.

I believe this is in the modem at System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats.

0 Likes
xadianx

Alright here is what it said

Transceiver Revision 3.3.2.2.0.1

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path FAST
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 736

Margin (dB) 25.4 10.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 13.3 7.0

Transmit Power (dBm) 1.7 11.9

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is what most of all that stuff means.

Margin (dB) - Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation - Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Transmit Power - The higher the number, the more power is required to transmit. This number will vary based on the other numbers.

--

Connect your modem directly to the NID, to see if the signal is better.

Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

--

Do not open up the techo/ISP/Phone Company's side, as that is illegal. You can open up the customer side and test there.

0 Likes
xadianx

Im in a Apt building so connection my modem to the NIC is impossible...I've had my line tested it's something happening between my pc and the modem not the box to modem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

ON ALL VERIZON SPEED ISSUES, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO TO THE EXCELLENT WEBSITES

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

AND

http://www.speedguide.net/

THERE IS A TON OF VERY USEFUL INFORMATION.  DON'T MISS THEIR PC-IP-TWEAKING TOOLS

Dr. TCP and SG TCP Optimizer, WHICH CAN HAVE A BIG IMPACT ON YOUR DOWNLOAD SPEEDS.

0 Likes
xadianx

this has nothing to do with speed....can someone who actually has read my post help???

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, your modem stats are "okay" not the best I have seen but not the worst.  You are at a disadvantage here as you are in an apartment  building. You not only have the natural degradation of outside copper wiring but you also have a much longer inside loop of wiring within the building itself combined with an inability to test at the NID.  

However, you state that it was fine for the first couple of months. You said the only way to restore the connectivity is to reboot PC and modem. What happens if you only reboot the PC, or only reboot the modem? In addition, when you received the new modem, did you change out all the cords that came with the modem or simply the modem itself?