Continuous and Frequent Disconnects for last 4 days, 6pm-After Midnight
matthew2142

I've been experiencing multiple disconnections from "enhanced" DSL on a frequent basis the last few nights.  I can tell while either using TV stream programs (such as Netflix) or using consoles requiring an internet connection to run certain features (XBOX).  The disconnects occur at a rate of about once every ten minutes, and lasts for about 90 seconds each.

Though this may seem trivial it continues to increase in frustration when trying to use the internet for shopping, TV streaming, or gaming.  I'm not sure what advantage I am getting paying extra for the "enhanced" DSL high speed internet, or if it is worth continuing my requested service from Verizon.  The fact that the internet simply decides to stop working for 90 seconds every 10 minutes is slightly frustrating given I’m paying for an expected service.  I understand this may be a local weather issue, but I have not received any messages from Verizon stating there is previous storm damage or on-going repairs in which I may suffer lack of stability.

It is not a wireless issue either.  I have a computer hard-connected via CAT-V cable and on the Verizon provided wireless router I can clearly see the Internet light go out while the DSL and Power lights remain illuminated.

I imagine this is not common,  and am hoping for troubleshooting beyond average technical knowledge.  is there a short life span on the wireless router provided?   Resetting the router will not fix this.  I attempted a shutdown, unplug for 10 minutes, and restart of the provided router and the disconnects resumed as normal and scheduled.  I also attempted replacing the phone and internet wires into the router.  I am considering moving my service to one of the local competing companies, but prefer Verizon for the bundle deals with DirectTV.

0 Likes
Re: Continuous and Frequent Disconnects for last 4 days, 6pm-After Midnight
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I see

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
matthew2142

Thanks for the response...What I saw:

traceroute to 71.160.**.*** (71.160.**.***), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms
3 GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 1 ms TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 1 ms 1 ms
4 P0-8-0-0.LSANCA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.29.125) 74 ms 74 ms 74 ms
5 P9-3.LSANCA-LCR-01.verizon-gni.net (130.81.193.123) 76 ms 76 ms 77 ms
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)

Modem:
Action Tec GT784WNV
(wireless router provided by Verizon)

Still no improvement since the last post.

0 Likes
MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's an epidemic everywhere.  I now feel it's to get people to move to FIOS.  They are too cheap to upgrade their equipment for DSL service.  We need to bond together and fight back.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Go to Status tab on second one over from left on the top.

#2 For example of what Transceiver Statistics looks like, here is another user's Transceiver Statistics from this modem.

Downstream Upstream
Initial 3456934665 1125768862
Final (+92011) 3457026676 (+3389) 1125772251
Relative Capacity[%] 75 95
Noise Margin [dB] 13.0 10.7
Transmit Signal Power [dBm] 15.5 12.2
Attenuation [dB] 17.3 10.1
Bit Rate [kb/s] 17647 1047
Max. Attainable Bit Rate [kb/s] 23279 1095

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MysteryB wrote:

It's an epidemic everywhere.  I now feel it's to get people to move to FIOS.  They are too cheap to upgrade their equipment for DSL service.  We need to bond together and fight back.

It's not so much of a cost basis, but it's due to the fact that if you are in a FiOS area, DSL doesn't make too much sense to continue maintaining. Fiber costs MORE to deploy than DSL does up fromt, but is much cheaper to maintain and has proven it's worthy since it was invented. As many others have stated, DSL is a technology that is impressive in the fact that it works over such an old network, but it's dying on the vine everywhere. Copper's degrading, DSL is only getting faster in shorter distances, Cable modems are getting significantly faster each month, and Fiber is continuously getting faster and already powers services such as DSL and Cable, along with Television and Phone service.

I feel Verizon's quite justified to push people to FiOS. I do feel they need to lower their prices a bit for Internet service, but the fact that thus far, they are remaining uncapped and unthrottled is what you want. They just need to work on customer service a bit more as well, getting to the point on why something is broken rather than reboot modems and close cases that have not been checked on a few days after a fix was implemented. It's the business world game of metrics. But to say the least, the cable company in my area isn't that good either for customer support. I work with folks who used to work for their Business support, and they frequently tell me support is going downhill.

0 Likes
MysteryB
Enthusiast - Level 3

If they didn't put in cheap copper and cheap equipment to begin with back in the day they wouldn't be facing these issues now.  Copper is proven to be one of the most reliable sources of media.  You'll see in almost every business they have some kind of modem with dial-up/dsl over copper for a backup line on something that needs to be dependable.  Land lines are still copper.  Also, Fios isn't in my area and will never be in my area so they should continue to maintain copper lines for those who can't get it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MysteryB wrote:

If they didn't put in cheap copper and cheap equipment to begin with back in the day they wouldn't be facing these issues now.  Copper is proven to be one of the most reliable sources of media.  You'll see in almost every business they have some kind of modem with dial-up/dsl over copper for a backup line on something that needs to be dependable.  Land lines are still copper.  Also, Fios isn't in my area and will never be in my area so they should continue to maintain copper lines for those who can't get it.

I do agree with you on this. The copper they put up still isn't cheap by any means (Thieves love to steal it), and the equipment is carrier grade stuff on the telco end of things, once again not cheap stuff. Copper "back in the day" did consist of a thicker gauge, which is great for DSL, but the jackets and insulation on the cabling has seen the test of time. Nothing you can do about that besides repair/replace. Look up the price of Adtran, Nortel, Fujitsu, Alcatel-Lucent, etc gear if you're able to find it.
It is true, well maintained copper (along with well maintained Fiber) is dependable, but the network at heart is Fiber, with copper as a last mile. A fine example is with the equipment giving me telephone and DSL out here. It's only two miles of copper between me and the remote equipment Verizon has. After that, it's Fiber back to the CO and Fiber to wherever it needs to go. No copper backup. So, the copper is as reliable, in essense as the Fiber gear is on the provider end. Copper's dependable and widely used still due to the cost (the major driving force behind telecom and IT in business decisions) to make the equipment, both consumer grade, commercial grade and carrier/enterprise grade. It's also easy to use and splice, in comparison to Fiber where you literally need a mobile fusion splicing lab to put two cables together in the field.

But yes, Verizon needs to continue operating and maintaining a copper network and a DSL network where Fiber is not available. That's a beef I've had for ages. The wireline network is still far more capable, copper or Fiber than Wireless is.

0 Likes
matthew2142

Forgive my ignorance, but could you be more specific where the Status tab is located?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@matthew2142 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but could you be more specific where the Status tab is located?

Take and show a screen shot of the router's UI.

As need be, see http://take-a-screenshot.org/

0 Likes