DSL-2750B LAN-WAN Bridge Mode
gklott

Just received new DLink DSL-2750B gateway. The documentation (Verizon User Manual) does not address WAN modes.

The DSL-2750B works as expected in DHCP WAN ETHoA mode VPI=0, VCI=35, Encapsulation=LLC. LAN is via NAT behind  192.168.1.1.

I need to use my Cisco RV04 VPN router for teleworking.

When I connect the RV04 behind it on the LAN, the RV04 gets a LAN address, and devices behind the RV04 can access internet find. However, I need the RV04 to get the public IP address from Verizon and act as the gateway/router for the entire LAN.

On the WAN DSL connection configuration page, there is a WAN setting called "LAN-WAN Bridged Ethernet Connection over ATM (Bridged ETHoA)".  In this mode, the DSL-2750B should act only as a DSL/Ethernet Bridge, and the Cisco RV04 would get the new IP address from Verizon using DHCP. There is no mention of this mode anywhere in the Verizon documentation.

However, when I set it in this mode, the RV04 is never able to revew the DHCP address from Verizon.

The RV04 worked before, and it works well on other INTENTER connections.

Am I configuring the DSL-2750B correctly to use a third-party router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL-2750B LAN-WAN Bridge Mode
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome! Glad to hear it is up and running.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you in a DHCP or a PPPoE area with Verizon? If the option you're selecting is in fact the bridge mode, your Cisco Gateway needs to be using PPPoE in most of Verizon's service areas if your modem uses a username and password to connect up to Verizon. If you are actually in a DHCP area however, you need to wait a few hours or release your Public IP address from the D-Link before trying to connect the Cisco appliance.

0 Likes
gklott

I am in a DHCP (WAN ETHoA) area. That's what the configuration when working properly. When I received the MODEM, I had to change the WAN configuration from PPoE to DHCP. 

I had waited 30 minutes, but now have the 2750B off and will wait for several (>2 hours). If not I will call Verizon and have them release the IP address.

Thanks.

0 Likes
gklott

I did try to "release" the WAN IP address from the Cisco, but it would not get a renewal.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome. Sounds like you have everything under control 🙂 Let us know how things go.

Another tip that has worked in the past is to try cloning the MAC address of the device that last held your Public IP. For example, cloning the MAC of the D-Link for the Cisco to send off would probably give you an IP. But, whichever option works for you!

0 Likes
gklott

After waiting 3 hours, turned on 2750B, then turned on RV04. All worked as expected.

Thanks.

73/gus

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome! Glad to hear it is up and running.

0 Likes
matthewberardi

Hello, I'd like to do the same but I am in a pppoe area.

Do I really need to set up my own pppoe client? is it not possible to bridge the virtual wan with my router (leaving pppoe termination the responsibility of the modem)?

Does anyone know the pppoe password? It's not mine. The username is "newdsl" and the modem came knowing the password.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes