DSL Connection Drops Constantly or Freezes - South San Jose, CA
SanJoseCACustom

I have a 3Mb DSL plan. 

My internet connection now drops every 15-20 minutes in the evenings.  In the day time, when it does run, it will run smoothly for 30 minutes to 1 hour before slowing and freezing and eventually dropping. This is happening constantly and has been occurring over the last 10 days. 

We had this problem once before stretching from December '09 into February 2010 when I finally called Verizon and they supposedly "did something on the server" to "solve this". Well, it is happening again. 

Verizon has better fixed this soon as I am losing my patience. We are not getting what we pay for. 

0 Likes
Re: DSL Connection Drops Constantly or Freezes - South San Jose, CA
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the model of that Westell?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
SanJoseCACustom

Verizon supplied the DSL Modem:

Westell Model 6100

E90-6100 15-06

Rev: J

June 2007

DSL2+Router

Firewall protection is set on the modem's "Firewall Settings". We normally use "Maximum Securiy (High)". When we work on corporate stuff, we switch to "Custom Setting" to allow VPN access. Custom setting is just a simple modification of "Maximum Security" to add VPN enabling lines. These have never caused problems before. 

My machines (Apple iMac's) are connected using an Apple Extreme Base Station. The station is connected via ethernet to the modem. 

This is the second go-around now since the December 2009 to February 2010 incident. 

December 2009 - Random disconnect and reconnect within 30 seconds. 

January 2010 - Disconnect about once per hour but reconnect within 30 secs to 1 minute. 

February 2010 - Disconnect about once every hour but remained disconnected for up to 2 or 3 minutes. Sometimes disconnects every 20 minutes and stays down for 2 minutes. 

Today: 

1. Starting about 5/29/2010 - Random freezes, slow down and random disconnect and reconnected within 30 seconds. 

2. By 6/2/2010 as I was working online with a client in Asia, DSL was dying every 20 minutes and took 1 minute to reconnect. Day time was OK. 

3. By 6/4/2010, day time connection lasted about 1 hour before disconnecting. Night time connection was bad. I could no longer work at night due to interruptions. 

4. As of an hour ago, still some random freezes. Nothing yet since about 1100 hr this morning (Monday, 6/14).

I appreciate your help and response. I have also had good experience with your tech-support whenever I had to call. Unfortunately, I cannot afford down time like this when I must work at home. Especially not when I must conduct business and technical support helping my company's customers overseas. 

Thank you. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Go to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 Read the info that is there.

#3 What Westell 6100 do you have (the White and Blue or the Red and Black) ?

0 Likes
SanJoseCACustom

Just as I tried to reply, it froze again Robot Sad

OK, I will read the FAQ and try it but it will have to be after work later tonight. Will report back by late tonight or Tuesday (6/15) morning. 

Thank you! 

ps. 

The modem is black. The UI managing the modem is  red/black. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In your modem combo go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats.

#2 Post the info that is there.

0 Likes