DSL Connection Issues, Do Not Want Fios
Not applicable

I have had DSL service through Verizon for many years, probably 20 or close to it, and landline phone service for several years more than that.   I started out with the highest level DSL I could get and I was very happy with it.   But as soon as FiOS became available in my area, the service started going downhill and has gotten worse and worse.  First they started decreasing my max speed level by level without warning, and changed my account each time to make it appear as though the it was never higher.  Eventually I found myself at the lowest level possible, but there was nothing I could do about that because it was all done behind the scenes and I had no way to prove anything after so many years had passed since it was first activated.  So I decided to just live with the slower speed because it was good enough for my use.  Then I started having connection issues.  I would go through periods of time, usually 3-4 weeks, where my connection would go in an out every few minutes.   The first time I called about it, I immediately got the "switch to FiOS" schpiel which I adamantly refused.  The next thing I knew, I had no phone or internet service at all.  When I finally found a way to contact them, I was told that it was disconnected because I had ordered FiOS and it was scheduled to be installed on whatever date.  I threw a fit because that was an outright lie, and they ended up reconnecting both the phone and internet after being totally disconnected for about a week.  For the next several years, I called each time I had a problem but I was very careful to let them know that I would not stand for being disconnected again for something that I did not and would not order.  Three of those times, after diligently trying to convince me to switch to FiOS, they said that the problem was my modem and sent me a new one.  With the first two new modems, the service was miraculously fixed when the new modem was delivered.  But, because I had caught on by this time, I did NOT connect the third new modem and, lo and behold, the service was STILL miraculously fixed as soon as it was delivered.  That confirmed to me that someone, somewhere was intentionally screwing with my connection in a blatant attempt to frustrate me to the point of switching.   So for the next few years, I tolerated the outages simply because I didn't want to argue with them anymore and, each time, it would go back to normal within a few weeks and be fine for a few months.  Privately, though, I was thinking that maybe I should go ahead and switch because I was getting extremely tired of dealing with it, but I was still hesitant because I do not let any stranger inside my home for any reason and I did not know whether or not I could self install, so I didn't pursue it.  Fast forward to two years ago.   Two Verizon reps caught me outside and cornered me, so reluctantly I talked to them.  I was assured that I could self install, so I finally agreed.  (Side note:  They saw that I had a cell phone in my hand and told me that I absolutely HAD to provide a cell phone number.  I told them that I did not give that number to anyone other than family and that, if they needed to contact me, they already knew my landline number, but they insisted and said that if I didn't give them mine, then I would have to give a neighbor's cell number.  I finally gave them my number and, within 24 hours I was being bombarded with spam and scam calls, and I had never received even one unwanted call in the entire 12 years that I had had that number, so it was very obviously that Verizon immediately sold it.)  So, back to the issue at hand.  I had made it very clear that no stranger would ever be given access to the inside of my home and, again, they assured me that it would not be necessary.  The installation date was scheduled and I was told that the technician would run the cable from the pole to the house and install a box on the side of the house, and then connect it to the coax hub that was already installed in my crawl space.  Everything appeared to be as they said it would....until the technician showed up and demanded access to the inside of my house.  Needless to say, I refused and sent him on his way with absolutely nothing being done.  Since then, the problem of the connection dropping every few minutes for weeks at a time and then being fine for a few months continued with regularity.  Then I lost my connection completely.  Mind you, I have never had a problem with my phone line aside from the time that they intentionally disconnected it when they said I ordered FiOS and I didn't.  I'm certainly not a technician, but common sense tells me that, if both the phone and the internet run through the same copper line, if that line is as bad as they want me to believe, I think I would have to have had at least some kind of problem with my phone line at some point.  So this time, after my DSL had been out for a few days with no connection at all, I called to report it and talked to a girl with a very heavy Indian accent.  I told her that I just wanted my connection fixed and that I was not interested in hearing about FiOS.  She wanted to know why, so I explained about not letting strangers inside my home and about the incident from two years ago.  She then said that she had checked the line and determined that the problem was on my end, so she would have to schedule a technician to come to my home.  I told her that I knew that my modem was fine, my phone line was fine, and that I had already done everything that could possibly be done on my end, at least on the inside, but that she was more than welcome to send someone to check things outside.  At that point she started to argue with me, saying that he would need access to the inside.  I told her that was not going to happen but she said she would send someone the day after tomorrow.  I asked why not tomorrow because my internet had already been out for days, and she said that she only had one time slot open for tomorrow and that, if he came then, he would need access to the inside.  What????  Why on earth would he need access to the inside if he came tomorrow, but not if he came the next day??  By this time I was livid and told her to just get it fixed or I would find another company that would give me what I want.  Then she started lecturing me about not letting strangers inside my home and that their competitors would also need inside access.  Finally I told her that what any other company would require was not her concern, that I was tired of being lectured.  I told her to just send the technician, said goodbye and hung up.  Less than two minutes later, my phone rang and the caller ID said it was from Verizon.  When I answered, it was a man, also with a heavy Indian accent, who said that I must have been cut off from the last call.  I told him no, that I had ended the call, and he proceeded to tell me that HE could fix my problem.....REMOTELY!!   Hmmm, how could that be if the problem was with MY line and a technician needed access to the inside of my home to fix it??  But I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth so I said great, please fix it!  He put me on hold for some time (during which I kept getting survey calls regarding the first call, but no one was ever there with I clicked over to the other line), and came back once to tell me to continue to hold because he was still working on it.  I kept holding and eventually the call was disconnected.  I never heard back from anyone and no technician ever showed up.  My connection finally came back late Friday night, but it is so slow that it won't even register on the Verizon speed test.  I have a picture of the results of 0 DL and 0 UL which I will attach if I can make it work well enough, and the Gateway Status page shows a Downstream Rate of 608Kbps, and an Upstream Rate of 640Kbps.  Like someone else said, dial-up would be faster than that!  So, now that my rant is over, I will be on a mission to find some other way to access the internet so that I can cut all ties with Verizon.  And once I finally do that, there will be no going back.  If I can't find another company to provide the access I need, then at least the USPS will get a boost when I start paying all my bills by mail.  At least I know that the mail carrier would never demand access to my home.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I'm another one who is fed up with Verizon
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A lot of this sounds very coincidental. Verizon wouldn't be shutting off your service and restoring it upon the arrival of new equipment. With your modem reporting unusual speeds this is most certainly a problem caused by a wiring issue either inside or outside. More than likely it is outside. Proper speeds for DSL should be in the ballpark of 3360kbps/864kbps if you have 3Mbps service.

Now, FiOS arriving does mean that Verizon is now maintaining two networks. FiOS itself is very reliable and trouble free. I've got relatives who have used it for over a decade with virtually no problem. I used to use DSL and Phone up until several months ago, and my service did have some bumps in the past few years as streaming increases and as more people cancel their copper landline services in favor of cell phones, and switched to Cable Internet (I don't live in a FiOS area). Copper itself has proven reliable for a long time as well, so it deserves credit. Thing is, since Fiber scales a lot better and gives Verizon the opportunity to actually give you modern, and better service, they're not going to want to keep the copper around for too long. It costs money to maintain two networks, and even more money to keep a legacy network going. As people ditch Copper for Fiber, maintaining the copper network is going to be less and less. Which, is where this "coincidence" comes into play.

When FiOS showed up, chances are your neighbors switched to FiOS, and as more made the switch, less and less focus was done on proactive repairs and maintenance on the copper, leaving it to deteriorate. Deterioration is slow, but lets think about how many problems got fixed in the past proactively. Chances are in the cable bundle, your neighbors saw service issues before you did. They called in a repair, Verizon fixed it and the problem never made it to your line. Now that your neighbors are no longer on Copper but using Fiber, the fault has gotten to the point where it now affects your line, and repairing it would cost more money than it's worth for what is probably one or two customers on a cable that used to support hundreds. Would you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars, or hundreds of thousands to replace a cable that has gone bad from daily wear and tear (all infrastructure undergoes this), and intrude on everyone's yards and block streets, just to fix a cable for two people, when another network which cost a LOT of money to put in, already exists that works?

In many areas, Verizon is actually filing with regulators to discontinue Copper service, and transition it all to Fiber. Chances are if Verizon FiOS has been around for a long time in your neighborhood, your area will soon be on a list for copper shutdown if it is not already. When this happens, you'll have two options. You can either let Verizon install FiOS, or your service gets discontinued. In copper shutdown areas, once they turn the copper off, there is no getting it back. No complaining to the PUC or FCC or your local news or town will fix this, as Verizon got approval from regulators to do this, and Copper is a heavily regulated service. Fiber can carry your regulated service (and already does beyond the central office), which is all regulators require in order to remove copper. The copper will be cut, removed, and the copper equipment in the central office removed. Verizon is not going to change your price if they install FiOS and you don't agree to a change in package, but you must agree to let Verizon, like any other utility you work with, to enter your home to finish delivering your service. This all happens when Verizon announces an official date for copper shutdown in your area... if they haven't already.

Either way, if you want to stick with Verizon, you will have far less headaches with FiOS at this point. At some point you're going to be required to make the switch or get disconnected like I mentioned above. Accept a Copper Transition package when Verizon offers it, instead of a FiOS plan if you don't want to get a price change / if the FiOS plans don't work out better for you. But you need to let Verizon do what they need to do to switch you over, and assume positive intent here. The only other solution they can give you that doesn't involve a tech coming to your house is to switch you to a fully wireless solution. The wireless solution will be nowhere near as good as FiOS. Wireless voice has little regulation compared to FiOS Voice, won't work as well for 911 service, won't work well with Fax or medical devices that need a landline, and for Internet services, will come with data limits which neither your DSL, or FiOS have.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Long story, but unfortunately its not verizon in this instance that can be blamed.

they need to gain access to your home and you are refusing. I would recommend you have another relative at your home to deal with the verizon installer.

DSL is a technology that is fast dying. Just like traditional copper lines fir the phone service.

In this case your anxiety of having a stranger in the home is stopping you from getting decent services from a company that in good faith is trying to assist.

as the one rep stated any other company would still need access to your home. Be it your cellar or attic or living room etc. stopping a company with such restrictions cannot get you services you need.

call a friend, doctor,neighbor or close relative to be there when the technician arrives.

once the ibstall is done you should be all set.

sometimes repairs must be made inside the home. There is nothing that can be done unless access is granted.

Not applicable

Sorry for the length of my initial post but, if I had not provided all the details, I would have been accused of being too vague and told to elaborate, so there is no way to win in that department. Aside from that, let me get this straight. So Verizon can lie, sell my private information to scammers, not follow through on what they promise to do, etc., etc., etc., .... and it’s all my fault because I refuse to simply open my door and allow them to roam around inside my home for hours when anything and everything they need access to is outside? Good to know!! Thank you so very much for clarifying that!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

So in retrospect a company be it verizon, cable, local plumber cannot be granted access to provide the service you want or need because of “non entry” and then blame the company of misgivings when they need such access?

i wholly understand the medical condition that some folks have in leaving their homes or having strangers around them. That is why i said have another person there to deal with it.

i cannot say for certain your thoughts of what verizon did in regards to lie, sell your private information etc. but if you read your narrative the crux is you will not allow access to the installer to put fios into your home. That is better and faster service. And knowing copper will not be used since its old technology the change over must be done. Until you let them in to install your service or fix it there is nothing anyone can do.

Not applicable

I have managed my entire life without allowing people that I do not trust inside my home, and the ONLY company I have ever had a problem with, i.e., someone demanding access to the inside of my home when it is not necessary, is Verizon.  Any other company that I have ever dealt with has been willing to work with me to accomplish whatever needed to be done, and that is usually accomplished without inside access.  Verizon, on the other hand, DEMANDS access every single time I call for anything, and they know very well that it's not necessary.  The point is that they do NOT need to be inside my home in order for my internet to work.  And for the record, swearing that the problem is in MY line and two minutes later being able to simply flip a switch on their end to fix the problem is LYING.   And demanding that I provide my cell phone number which is not carried by Verizon before they will even consider ordering service, and then me suddenly being bombarded with scam calls within 24 hours when I had never received even one unwanted call in 12 years is proof to me that they sold it.  Every single thing that I mentioned has been proven to me firsthand, and there is no way I would ever trust any employee of a company that condones and encourages such behavior to enter my home, even if I had a dozen bodyguards armed to the teeth.  And that is the bottom line.  No company is stronger than their weakest link so why on earth would I ever trust anyone associated with that company?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It all comes down to what you want for service. 

You believe verizon does not need to be inside your home, and that everything can be done off premise. That would not be accurate. Fios install is done by running fiber optics line from above via poles or by running it underground.

that is to your home or apartment. The ONT may be a inside model today since the old one like i have goes on the outside of our home, may not be in use. In any case outside or in the installer must gain entry to set up the router, set top boxes if having tv and of course voip phone service/digital phone. They must also run the ethernet and coaxial if necessary, that cannot be done from outside.

Even cable companies, need access to your home. The simple flix of a switch is not always done nor can be done.

now if you give a phone number for contact to any company be it verizon or any other vendor it is doubtful they want to lose customers by having them constantly called.

spam calls like spam emails are not done with any reasons. They are auto dialed and are spoofed as to their real orgins. So doubtful verizon was doing this to you.

in my estimations unless you take my suggestions as to have a trusted person in your abode to let service install commence any complaint here will go unaided.

and if you switch services you still need that company to gain access to give you connection to their services.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can tell you that I’ve had Verizon FiOS since 2008 and never had a service outage. I understand you may not want someone in your house but like the other poster said that is the only way. Verizon is retiring the copper lines. My Grandmother received a letter from Verizon saying she needs to upgrade to fiber for her phone or it will be disconnected. She upgraded and hasn’t had an issue since. When she was on copper she always had trouble on the line. 

I’m sorry you feel that way about having someone in your house but if you upgrade to FiOS you will have a much better experience. 

Not applicable

Apparently I'm not making myself clear, so this will be my last attempt.  This is NOT about switching to FiOS.  That possibility was severely hindered when Verizon ordered it many years ago without my knowledge or consent, and disconnected all of my services because of it.  And then it was taken completely off the table when they blatantly lied to me about it when I did agree to switch.  It is about a company that cannot be trusted in any way, shape or form.  It is about a company that demands access to my home every single time I call for any reason, regardless of what that reason may be.  If I were to call to report that one of their trucks had been abandoned in front of my house, I honestly believe that they would demand that the tow truck driver be allowed to enter my home before they would tow it away.  It is THAT bad!! 

It is about a company that has proven to me over and over and over again that NONE of their employees can be trusted because every single one that I have ever spoken to in more than 20 years has lied to me.   If any employee had ever demonstrated even the tiniest bit of trustworthiness, I might feel differently but that has never happened.  

If and when I decide to allow a stranger into my home for the sake of reliable internet access, I would most certainly take my chances with a different company.  Other companies may not be trustworthy either, but at least none of them has made it their top priority to prove that fact to me ad nauseam like Verizon has.

Please don't waste your time responding because I won't be back here.  I thought this was a public forum for and about Verizon customers, but apparently I was mistaken.  It is obviously nothing more than an attempt by Verizon to whitewash everything that everyone knows they do and try to come out smelling like a rose.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Matter of fact is this about the customer not making a reasonable accommodation to have the service repaired via a telephone company technician.

verizon is not responsible for customer medical ailments that make repairs to the service harder on the customer.

there is nothing wrong having opinions different than others. But if you want your service repaired you must allow access to your premises.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A lot of this sounds very coincidental. Verizon wouldn't be shutting off your service and restoring it upon the arrival of new equipment. With your modem reporting unusual speeds this is most certainly a problem caused by a wiring issue either inside or outside. More than likely it is outside. Proper speeds for DSL should be in the ballpark of 3360kbps/864kbps if you have 3Mbps service.

Now, FiOS arriving does mean that Verizon is now maintaining two networks. FiOS itself is very reliable and trouble free. I've got relatives who have used it for over a decade with virtually no problem. I used to use DSL and Phone up until several months ago, and my service did have some bumps in the past few years as streaming increases and as more people cancel their copper landline services in favor of cell phones, and switched to Cable Internet (I don't live in a FiOS area). Copper itself has proven reliable for a long time as well, so it deserves credit. Thing is, since Fiber scales a lot better and gives Verizon the opportunity to actually give you modern, and better service, they're not going to want to keep the copper around for too long. It costs money to maintain two networks, and even more money to keep a legacy network going. As people ditch Copper for Fiber, maintaining the copper network is going to be less and less. Which, is where this "coincidence" comes into play.

When FiOS showed up, chances are your neighbors switched to FiOS, and as more made the switch, less and less focus was done on proactive repairs and maintenance on the copper, leaving it to deteriorate. Deterioration is slow, but lets think about how many problems got fixed in the past proactively. Chances are in the cable bundle, your neighbors saw service issues before you did. They called in a repair, Verizon fixed it and the problem never made it to your line. Now that your neighbors are no longer on Copper but using Fiber, the fault has gotten to the point where it now affects your line, and repairing it would cost more money than it's worth for what is probably one or two customers on a cable that used to support hundreds. Would you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars, or hundreds of thousands to replace a cable that has gone bad from daily wear and tear (all infrastructure undergoes this), and intrude on everyone's yards and block streets, just to fix a cable for two people, when another network which cost a LOT of money to put in, already exists that works?

In many areas, Verizon is actually filing with regulators to discontinue Copper service, and transition it all to Fiber. Chances are if Verizon FiOS has been around for a long time in your neighborhood, your area will soon be on a list for copper shutdown if it is not already. When this happens, you'll have two options. You can either let Verizon install FiOS, or your service gets discontinued. In copper shutdown areas, once they turn the copper off, there is no getting it back. No complaining to the PUC or FCC or your local news or town will fix this, as Verizon got approval from regulators to do this, and Copper is a heavily regulated service. Fiber can carry your regulated service (and already does beyond the central office), which is all regulators require in order to remove copper. The copper will be cut, removed, and the copper equipment in the central office removed. Verizon is not going to change your price if they install FiOS and you don't agree to a change in package, but you must agree to let Verizon, like any other utility you work with, to enter your home to finish delivering your service. This all happens when Verizon announces an official date for copper shutdown in your area... if they haven't already.

Either way, if you want to stick with Verizon, you will have far less headaches with FiOS at this point. At some point you're going to be required to make the switch or get disconnected like I mentioned above. Accept a Copper Transition package when Verizon offers it, instead of a FiOS plan if you don't want to get a price change / if the FiOS plans don't work out better for you. But you need to let Verizon do what they need to do to switch you over, and assume positive intent here. The only other solution they can give you that doesn't involve a tech coming to your house is to switch you to a fully wireless solution. The wireless solution will be nowhere near as good as FiOS. Wireless voice has little regulation compared to FiOS Voice, won't work as well for 911 service, won't work well with Fax or medical devices that need a landline, and for Internet services, will come with data limits which neither your DSL, or FiOS have.