DSL DNS lookup too slow and cause disconnection
po

I think it started around 02/24(last Tuesday). 3mb/768 connection suddently slows down and get disconnection all the time. However, ftp download is quick once connected. I saw dns lookup like this:
>nslookup www.yahoo.com
Server:  dslrouter
Address:  192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dslrouter timed-out

>nslookup www.yahoo.com
Server:  dslrouter
Address:  192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.yahoo.com.westell.com
Addresses:  63.251.179.13

-----

this actually makes VPN and web browsing slows like 14.4k moden. Any idea to fix this? thanks

0 Likes
Re: DSL DNS lookup too slow and cause disconnection
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Have you tried flushing your Dns?

go to start, type cmd

next type    ipconfig /flushdns

Reboot your computer and see if it makes a difference

0 Likes
po
One of verizon tech has done that with me already (flush dns). it is no joy. The problem is it is slow even dns lookup from westel 327w modem. From my observation, in average, it took 2-6 sec to for dns lookup. so it is extremely slow to open any web pages esp when it has lots of links in it. I do not see this is a line issue. for instance, it may take me 30 sec or refresh twice to get into mdsn.microsoft.com. However, I can download windows 7 dvd image with 350KB/sec once have ftp download session established. I wish some one can give me primary/secondary/cache dns servers in edision,NJ area and see if I can set them as my dns server not 192.168.1. I think some of dns farm behave badly. if that is router issue, download speed will suffer too.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
What if you did a system restore to before that date?
0 Likes
po
In order to verify if this an OS issue or not, I have wired connected to modem with Vista/XP/Ubuntu/opensolaris 11/08/solaris10upd6. They all have the same problem. It even time out by going to diag (ping / dns) from westel 327w modem. Monday, verizon tech said they want to open network ticket to trouble shooting for me as with 3Mb/768 is having a benchmaerk of 1100/15 kb/sec with speedtest.net tests. Yesterday, it looks like back to normal with 3MB/768. Today, the modem show 861/156 kb/sec and same slow dns lookup. download/upload speed are very inconsistent. same slow dns lookup. the download speed (ftp)once connected is nomral 80KB/sec for 768/128 speed. (but mine is supposed to be 3Mb/768kb.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

First, I would follow up with repair service to make sure they are keeping on top of your situation. next, I thought when you are trying to find the route your line feeds from it was based on ip addresses.

From the command prompt, have you tried typing ... tracert yahoo.com ....to see the route your taking to get to yahoo?

Thanks for checking into the operating system...

0 Likes
po
Thanks for your help. It has finally been fixed. As suspected, it is a verizon internal netowrk or dns mis-configured issue. Verizon network group finally found that  the dsl line from central office and from verizon servers had some misconfigured problems. so, it was fixed. My sppedtest result jumps from 1100/15 to 2894/705 kb/sec for 3Mb DSL. so, I am happy. But for an outage from 2/24 to 3/10, it did make my life miserable and interrupt my support work for my company where I am an unix SA and SAN manager.
0 Likes
linuxGeek-21401

Ever since my Westell 6100 was 'upgraded' by Verizon, DNS lookups take 20-? ? secinds.  Reading web pages with  external links usually  result in freezing and ultimately disconnection.  I know the firmware was changed because the web interface was completely different.

In addition, email downloads are agrevatingly slow, with 3-5 minutes required to download a half dozen text emails.  I set up TCPcump and watched the transaction, the server was returning NOPs to keep the connection alive.

I reported this to verizon tech support, they said the upgrade had caused many issues, said they would send me a new CD ROM.    I waited patiently for the ROM which showed up after 3 weeks, and was only the new user install disk, not the image as promised.

I have several machines on my network Linux, WinXP, and Mac, all behaving the same way.  I have reasonable connectivity for web browsing, with downloads showing about 95 kbs, so I don't beleive there is a conndectivity issue.

Regards

-b 

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
If you had modified the original default settings before the update was made, you may have to go back in to the router and re-do them
0 Likes
linuxGeek-21401

All settings wre confirmed and re-entered per the verizon tech.  The modem is configured to obtain an IP, GW, and DNS from the verizon.

0 Likes