DSL Disconnects and Unavailable
jenwrenfer

I have seen multiple postings on this board about this issue, but I haven't found any resolution to my problems.

I have Verizon DSL and the Westell 327W. I will go blocks of days without issues, but recently have been having my DSL connection dropped every 15-20 minutes or so for hours at a time. I mostly noticed this because of trying to use Xbox Live, and having the connection drop alert sent to me.

If I go into the router it says the 'Gateway is not ready for internet access'. Then after a few minutes it re-establishes itself. It will repeat this cycle over and over, sometimes making the DSL connection, sometimes not.

The other issue is that during rain or thunderstorms the Internet is completely inaccessible.

I have tried resetting the modem. I have tried plugging the modem into the wall vice the surge protector. I have done an ipconfig release and renew.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I hate to pay for service that I have a 50/50 chance of actually being able to use. I have called Verizon Support multiple times but they are no help. In fact, last time I called, I talked about how I was in grad school and needed to have a reliable internet connection in order to take exams online. The tech actually told me to "deal with it", as there was nothing he could do. They say that the lines look fine from their end.

I would appreciate any assistance. This is beyond maddening, especially since cable is not an option in my area.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Disconnects and Unavailable
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Post your modem status.

If you have no idea of what this means, show the first screen in your router after you log-in to it...
0 Likes
jenwrenfer

Here's what I have after 3 failed attempts to get on today. I'm trying to post quickly before I lose connection again.

Speed (down/up): 3360 Kbits/sec by 864 Kbits/sec

Connection Type: PPP

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: G.DMT Mode  

Data Path: Fast    

Transceiver Information

Downstream Path

Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864

Margin (dB) 14.0 6.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 33.5 13.0

Transmit Power (dBm) 12.9 11.2

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Here is what most of all that stuff means..

Margin (dB) - Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation - Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Transmit Power - The higher the number, the more power is required to transmit. This number will vary based on the other numbers.
0 Likes
jenwrenfer

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does that mean?

That the problem lies on the line out side my house, or within the router, or with wiring inside my house, or there is no way to know?

0 Likes