DSL Drops Out Like Clockwork
Don_S1

Hello Community. My wired DSL "dropout" issue has been continuous for several years. I again have a new router/modem and have a new direct run of CAT6E cable from the "customer" box directly inside. No house wiring. This is actually the third router/modem and the results are identical.

About every 45 minutes to an hour, the modem will do a reset. When the modem attempts to restart it is not successfully and then the modem shuts down and restarts completely. The first reset keeps the power light green, the second reset changes the state of the power light to orange then completes the reset sequence successfully.

This change of events happens EVERY time, time and time again.  I've set and watched every modem I've used do exactly the same thing, exactly amounting to hundreds of times. Once it up, it's fine, for  a while.  The logs show no errors in or out.  This was the same with my original 768k download speed through several upgrades to high speed.

I said this was the third modem, actually it's more like the 6th or 7th.  I moved away from a device with integrated switch and wireless to the most simple Westell router/modem. I use a separate switch and wireless access point "up the line" so all my internal connections do not go down when the reset "thing" happens. 

I am an IT professional so I guess I've been too stubborn to admit defeat...Help!! I give up....Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: DSL Drops Out Like Clockwork
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 Even If you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem and you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes