Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

DSL Filters

SOLVED
phillb73
Contributor
Contributor

DSL Filters

Message 1 of 5
(1,437 Views)

All of the DSL Filters that I was given in theVerizon DSL Modem Package recived when my internet service with verizon started have died!

I know this thanks to my portable phones not disconnecting when I push the off button, and then to go back on to either hear an automated voice that one gets when the phone is not hung up, or nothing.

All of the filters have been used and blown. I unplug them to get the phone to hang up, but the internet acts up with the phone directly connected to the house's line.

What causes this to happen, and Verizon wants me to buy new ones. These are faulty, why should I have to buy new ones. I know of people who have had Verizon's DSL service longer than me and they have never had this happen!

Why does this happen so I can fix that before I go wasting money on another filter that's just going to blow!

Phill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: DSL Filters

Message 3 of 5
(1,395 Views)

I would consider getting a whole-home filter installed by Verizon if you don't want to play around with filters anymore. Verizon should install these into your NID without cost, based on my experience in my area if you're running into problems with DSL service. Plus, if the filter goes bad it's on Verizon to also replace it since the part would be installed in the "Telco Access" section of the NID.

Also, have Verizon Voice support check the line for excessive voltage or other issues, such as shorts or grounding issues. Noise on the line while the DSL is powered off, or even on behind the filter is a good indication of a problem that should be fixed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 5
(1,403 Views)

I used Google to lookup dsl filter blown.

These/This should help you

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1935007

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10374644

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 5
(1,396 Views)

I would consider getting a whole-home filter installed by Verizon if you don't want to play around with filters anymore. Verizon should install these into your NID without cost, based on my experience in my area if you're running into problems with DSL service. Plus, if the filter goes bad it's on Verizon to also replace it since the part would be installed in the "Telco Access" section of the NID.

Also, have Verizon Voice support check the line for excessive voltage or other issues, such as shorts or grounding issues. Noise on the line while the DSL is powered off, or even on behind the filter is a good indication of a problem that should be fixed.

View solution in original post

PhilpdC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: DSL Filters: Yes a whole house filter works great.

Message 4 of 5
(493 Views)

Yes a whole house filter works great. However if you decide to move the router for some reason to another location in the same house you will have to change some wiring.. 

GaryDM
Moderator Moderator

Message 5 of 5
(486 Views)

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title