DSL Filters
phillb73

All of the DSL Filters that I was given in theVerizon DSL Modem Package recived when my internet service with verizon started have died!

I know this thanks to my portable phones not disconnecting when I push the off button, and then to go back on to either hear an automated voice that one gets when the phone is not hung up, or nothing.

All of the filters have been used and blown. I unplug them to get the phone to hang up, but the internet acts up with the phone directly connected to the house's line.

What causes this to happen, and Verizon wants me to buy new ones. These are faulty, why should I have to buy new ones. I know of people who have had Verizon's DSL service longer than me and they have never had this happen!

Why does this happen so I can fix that before I go wasting money on another filter that's just going to blow!

Phill

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL Filters
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would consider getting a whole-home filter installed by Verizon if you don't want to play around with filters anymore. Verizon should install these into your NID without cost, based on my experience in my area if you're running into problems with DSL service. Plus, if the filter goes bad it's on Verizon to also replace it since the part would be installed in the "Telco Access" section of the NID.

Also, have Verizon Voice support check the line for excessive voltage or other issues, such as shorts or grounding issues. Noise on the line while the DSL is powered off, or even on behind the filter is a good indication of a problem that should be fixed.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used Google to lookup dsl filter blown.

These/This should help you

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1935007

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10374644

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would consider getting a whole-home filter installed by Verizon if you don't want to play around with filters anymore. Verizon should install these into your NID without cost, based on my experience in my area if you're running into problems with DSL service. Plus, if the filter goes bad it's on Verizon to also replace it since the part would be installed in the "Telco Access" section of the NID.

Also, have Verizon Voice support check the line for excessive voltage or other issues, such as shorts or grounding issues. Noise on the line while the DSL is powered off, or even on behind the filter is a good indication of a problem that should be fixed.

Re: DSL Filters: Yes a whole house filter works great.
PhilpdC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes a whole house filter works great. However if you decide to move the router for some reason to another location in the same house you will have to change some wiring.. 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!