DSL Initial Setup
mkg9859

Why is it that the Verizon reps that my users call to help them initially set up their DSL wireless network insist that they have to install the Verizon software from the CD that came with their package?

When the crappy software fails to install and damages all sorts of system settings and permissions the reps go on to blame the antivirus software that we use.

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to skip the stupid unnecessary software and just set up their router remotely, ask them what to call the network and what to make the password, and let them just connect to it through windows?

I feel like I should be sending out a pre-emptive email to anyone who orders Verizon DSL telling them no matter what you do, do NOT follow verizon directions and just give me a call when you're ready to set this up - otherwise you end up with no internet access and a computer that you need to bring back to me for a few hours just so I can undo the damage that was caused by Verizon.

Seriously,

0 Likes
Re: DSL Initial Setup
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
As to why, I looked on Google isp branding, and here are some of the results..

#1 http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=671

#2 Also it appears for profit.

http://connection.ebscohost.com/content/article/1017179447.html%3Bjsessionid=218CE0EFFA7587DFDE6AF2C233238504.ehctc1

^^

What you may find very annoying, is quick quote from http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/best_of/ispbrnds.htm

"And when you uninstall the software, these changes are left behind!"

--

I agree with you. The users do not need to install this ****.

Message for everybody else:

If you use the CD, please do not install their software.

Just read the user's manual, that may be on the CD.

If you have any questions about what you are reading...

#! Go to a location that already has Internet Access.

#2 With their permission (that other location with Internet Access) go get some help online. For example from a message board..

--

No manual on CD? Go get help online at someone's location....

^^
0 Likes
Brisingre

How would I go about setting up the connection without the software? I just built a new 64-bit system, and it's doing a fascinatingly irritating thing where it says that I don't meet the system requirements because I don't have enough RAM. This is right next to where it says I have 8 gigs of RAM and need 2 mb of RAM to run it. This is strange. However, the software simply refuses to install if the system requirements aren't met. (Bad design in and of itself.) I can't get it to connect without the software installed. (I'm on my laptop, where it works fine.)

I'm on Windows XP Pro 64 Bit

Westell  6100 modem

Thanks!

-bris

Message Edited by Brisingre on 07-22-2009 08:44 AM
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok, let us do this step by step.

#1 With your laptop online check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, And DNS Server(s) on it..

I have no idea of what you OS and Version you use on that computer, so I will assume Windows XP. If you do not use Windows XP, what are you using?

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 Compare the IP Address on your computer to the IP Address as shown at http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Are they (is it) the same or different?

#3 If they are the same, are you in a PPPoE area or a DHCP area?

To do this, since I have no idea of your OS and version - I will still assume that you are using Windows XP...

Go to Start -> Connect to -> Show all connections OR If that does not exist, then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.

At that screen, is there any broadband connections listed - that says something about WAN MiniPort (PPPoE)?

For example, here is a screen shot from my computer.

If you do not see anything about WAN MiniPort (PPPoE)? , you are in a DHCP area.
0 Likes