DSL Internet Dropping Westell 7500 NYC
Cardinalsin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey guys,

For about two weeks my internet has been dropping intemittenlty and its giving me the DNS problem when i diagnose with network troubleshooter in vista.

I have a westell 7500 and I have tried both wirelessly and with the ethernet cable to log in the internet. At times my pppoe connection in the modem configuration page displays the numeric values of network traffic but when i click to connect it takes ages to connect. Once connected, in random intervals my connection is dropped. Its becoming a hassle already, I have been reading the forums for over 2 weeks to no avail with this problem. Would someone please recommend something to this issue?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL Internet Dropping Westell 7500 NYC
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a physical issue with your line for sure. Your line appears to be short enough to maintain a 3Mbps connection without issue, especially with ADSL2+ being on the line. The noise margins however are bad, and the upstream speed is incorrect. If those statistics were from the NID, or if you do not have access to your NID, get Verizon out to repair the line.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Log into the modem at http://192.168.1.1/

#2 Choose System Monitoring in the navigation, Advanced Monitors from the Left Hand Side Navigation and then choose System Logging. Post up the contents of the "All" log, either via pastebin.com or via Copy and Paste (Pastebin is preferred since it helps to keep the thread tidy looking). Additionally, post up your modem's Transceiver Statistics (found in the Advanced Monitors section as well) which you can Copy and Paste into the post here.

* -> If you need a Username and Password, try:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also take a look at this thread  The gist of it is here, so maybe this will help

i finally resolved the issue. a very helpful verizon rep in the verizon direct forum figured it out. apparently, the 7500 has a battery backup which means that if you power cycle the modem too quickly, it won't reset. you need to power down for a full minute (or two) and then re-power the modem. it will then reconnect via ppp properly.

thanks for all your help,

Cardinalsin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well im getting the message : "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters." When trying to post.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use this site to post up the modem logs: http://pastebin.com/

When pasted, copy and paste the URL to the Pastebin entry here.

Cardinalsin
Enthusiast - Level 2
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to the modem logs, your physical connection to Verizon seems to be dropping, and it seems to be due to issues on both your upstream and downstream. Can you provide your modem Transceiver Statistics for us to see? That would be the final piece of information I need. If you have access to a NID, also post the Transceiver Statistics from it's test jack.

Cardinalsin
Enthusiast - Level 2
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a physical issue with your line for sure. Your line appears to be short enough to maintain a 3Mbps connection without issue, especially with ADSL2+ being on the line. The noise margins however are bad, and the upstream speed is incorrect. If those statistics were from the NID, or if you do not have access to your NID, get Verizon out to repair the line.

dgoodberry

Hi,

I'm having what seems to be the same problem with the same router, but in Philadelphia. This has been going on for almost 2 years, and has been "fixed" multiple times by techs, with a new router at one point, but overall no improvement. Over the past few weeks my speeds have started to become affected as well, so something needs to be done. I'd really appreciate if any clues can be found in my logs:

http://pastebin.com/Z5FfyQn1

Thanks in advance for your time & expertise!

0 Likes