DSL Jack wiring
larryrow
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have several phone jacks in my home that have dial tone, but only one jack (call it Jack A) with DSL signal. That jack has blue/white and white/blue wires coming directly from the NID (also orange/white and white/orange that are not connected). The jack port is large enough to accept an ethernet cable but also takes my phone/dsl cable for my dsl router.

The Jack (call it Jack B) I would like to have DSL on is Red/Green/Yellow/Black wiring. Right now the red/green are hooked to the NID and it has dial tone. I figured I could swap the wiring on jacks A and B to get DSL into jack B, but it did not work.

Questions:

Will I be able to get DSL on Jack B, and if so will it perform poorly because of style/age of jack/cable?

How do I get DSL on jack B? Can I rewire this mess or do I need to run a new wire through the wall?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: DSL Jack wiring
larryrow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nevermind, I figured it out. Tried connecting Jack B again and had some success, though connection speed and reliability was terrible. Not sure if it was my fault for not having wires connected well enough or the fault of the old wiring. I tore apart an ethernet cable and connected one of the pairs with much better results. Wired a cat5 through my wall and running nicely now.