DSL PPP Down, goes down 10 times in half hour, long term issue
TylerSl92
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hey everyone! I have a westell 6100 that has already had the jack its currently on wired directly to the NID to bypass any phone lines within the house (to rule out interference within the home) Currently waiting the last 3 days for the tech to remember to let the people at the hub literally a half mile away from my house to do a port change. Some nights I can brush it off but tonight I counted 10 disconnects in 30 minutes. So I thought it would be worth a shot to reach out to the community. Seen other post about PPP down, maybe those can help me as well. When my PPP goes down the DSL light will drop out, which tells me its losing inbound signal from the hub. As it reconnects obviously it flashes faster and then finally goes green, to only minutes later drop out and search for a signal again. Anywho here are my stats Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0 Vendor ID Code: 4 Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode Data Path: Interleaved Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 8311 566 Margin (dB) 11.0 9.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 26.0 14.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 18.4 12.1 If the port change at the hub does not fix it, the only thing left is the physical line going from my house to the hub (tech said there is no stop since were so close, its a direct route from our home to hub) If it comes to that i really feel like trying to get them to replace that line would be **bleep** near impossible given the money it would take to replace it. The tech has hooked his tester to the NID and claims the line is fine.... but its not a whole lot to a DSL connection. Modem>NID>Line>HUB. Had this issue for YEARS, really wish outskirts of Roanoke VA would cable.
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: DSL PPP Down, goes down 10 times in half hour, long term issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does seem to be a noise issue. Your attenuation is low so this suggests a short distance. Transmit power is high in comparison to your attenuation and speed, which is indicative of poor quality wiring or a poor signal due to neighboring pairs in your copper bundle.

Do you have a landline by chance? If so, ever hear static or other unusual noises, or even crosstalk from other lines when you kill the dial tone?

TylerSl92
Enthusiast - Level 1
We do, but rarely use it. They are supposed to do a port change at the CO today. When I get home I'll pick the phone up and press a button so it loses it dial tone, listen to it and let you know. What you said to me would probably be wort telling the technician. Since they never once checked the statistics that I just posted.
0 Likes
TylerSl92
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here are the stats after the technican had the port changed at the CO, he was also supposed to change the pair as well.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0 
Vendor ID Code:4 
Line Mode:ADSL2+ Mode 
Data Path:Interleaved 

Transceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)11772988
Margin (dB)19.010.0
Line Attenuation (dB)22.013.0
Transmit Power (dBm)16.4

does that look any better?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

They are looking better. By chance, do you also have a homerun installed at your home? A Homerun is simply a dedicated line between your modem and the Verizon copper drop, with the rest of the house filtered out from DSL.

0 Likes