DSL Slowed Down in Northeast PA?
MCBELLES
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in the 17820 zip code in Pennsylvania and we had issues awhile ago and had to have all the wiring in our home redone and got a new modem. The Verizon employee who was assisting us helped us test our speed which was around 3MBps. 

Over the past  few months or so, I started testing the speeds again both using Verizon speed test and another speed test service, both were telling me 2.89MBps. 

I started testing the internet again over the past month because it's already slow and I noticed it was even slower and with our family of 5 and apparently no faster speed available at our residence I was curious if it was due to a problem.

I have been only getting 2.51MBps lately, I don't know for how long but at least since December. 

Tonight, I have been experiencing connection problems to services and at first thought it was them, until multiple services gave me issues. I did multiple speed tests and now it is very inconsistent bouncing as low as 0.47MBps download speed in one test with a latency of 93ms. I might add our latency when sending a ping to Verizon used to be around 48ms on average which was decent in my opinion.

Is there currently an issue with Verizon DSL service in our area, and is there a time frame on when it will be resolved?

Tonight it is like we are having our speeds throttled, and for at least the past month it has been getting slower and slower. Why is it getting slower when we pay the same amount? 

I would give Verizon a chance to fix this problem, or possibly do repairs on the outside lines which I suspect are the problem, however at this point we are considering canceling our Verizon service. I feel that the speeds should not be going down and the available speeds in our area should be going up but have not for about a decade. 

Re: DSL Slowed Down in Northeast PA?
Rails52

I live in 18452 zip code, Northeast Pa., and my speeds have consistently been low for the past several months.  I just started using a smart tv and can't even watch a movie or short clip without it stopping to catch up downloading.  Have made several calls to Verizon from billing to tech support with very little results.  I am currently waiting on a new router to arrive and if that does not resolve my problems, I WILL be cancelling my service with Verizon and all products from them.

I will be also researching on who I might complain to in Federal management, possibly FCC.  I've paid for service I don't believe I was ever getting at the speeds specified.

0 Likes
MCBELLES
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well Ralis52, if we do cancel a complaint to the FCC isn't off the table. Not out of spite, just to try to put some attention on the issue. It seems like the copper wires around here are neglected. I coule be wrong so don't take this as a fact and I don't mean to slander Verizon or anyone for that matter. Last time someone came to repair, everything improved, but it went downhill again and that Verizon employee installed a new phone line and some other things as well as us getting a new modem they wanted us to get, so we did everything they told us to and haven't messed with anything. 

0 Likes
thor11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the 19608 zip code in PA.  We have been having similar wild download/connection swings for the last few months.  This nver happened before that, the connection was always stable.  I have called verizon support they couldn't find anything substancial so they gave me a new DSL modem just incase the modem as going bad.  However no change in the crazy performance.

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

FWIW, I'm in 19529 and get my ~2.86 Mbps consistently day and night with pings around 38 ms.  But, I am on a brand new remote terminal that was just installed at the end of October.

It sounds like all of you are having issues with congestion.  What I suggest doing is either calling Verizon and asking them to put you on a different router in the Central Office.  You might have to talk to a few different people in tech support to know what you are talking about...

What would probably be more helpful is to go to the "Verizon Direct" forum at DSLReports.com.  You'll have to create a user name, but you can then post a message on the Direct forum to speak directly with a customer service rep.  They are VERY helpful, and would most likely understand your problem with congestion.  Also couldn't hurt while you're there to ask if you can be bumped up to either 5 or 7 Mbps.  The worst that can happen is that they say no!

Also don't forget that DSL is limited by distance, so if you are far away from the CO or Remote Terminal, speeds of 1.5 of 3 Mbps will be the only thing you are able to get.

0 Likes
MCBELLES
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think it is due to congestion for me. I live in a small town, somewhat rural. We've had this connection for years and this problem just started out of the blue less than a month ago. I already have a dslreports account and I made a post there about the problem in the Verizon direct support section, I'll see if I get a reply. 

I honestly believe it's due to the wiring outside our house, not inside. We really want to keep Verizon, we have our internet, Direct TV and phone bundled... But this is getting old. It seems almost like our speeds are throttled sometimes, even though they probably aren't being throttled. Our connection was fine for almost a year after we had a new line ran and we got a new modem/router. 

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

Right, "congestion" is due to problems outside your house.  You're in a rural part of PA (like I am) and Verizon DSL is likely your only choice, the same with your neighbors and other nearby people.  So, everyone connecting to the same RT or CO router causes congestion issues.

0 Likes