DSL Speed
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Verizon DSL service at 3.1 to 7 mbps. My house is 1 mile from a verizon switching station. Not an office but a small building housing Verizon equipment. when I test my speed I usually only get 2.4mbps download and .72 upload and that's on a good day. Right now it's running at 2.15. Shouldn't I at least be getting 3.1mbps?

0 Likes
Re: DSL Speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

2.15Mbps might be a sign of minor amounts of congestion. Normally, if you're testing at 2.4Mbps you're getting approximately what you should be on the 3Mbps plan. Verizon overprovisions to make up for some overhead, but not all of it is covered. 

DSL will take away 15% of your bandwidth due to overhead caused by ATM, PPPoE, and other underlying network layers such as Ethernet and TCP/IP. The overhead can be greater or less depending on the configuration. Verizon sets the sync to 3360kbps down, 864kbps up. With that said, the best you're ever going to see out of the line is 2850kbps down, 740kbps up.

If the station you're talking about is only a mile away, you should consider pushing Verizon for a speed upgrade. 1 Mile, assuming the copper run is also that long and your copper is in good shape could score you something between 5Mbps to 10Mbps download, and 768kbps-1Mbps upload. 

If you're interested in more speed, let us know what modem you use. If you know how to, please provide the Transceiver Statistics.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Speed
tomearly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the D-Link 2750B router. The plan I have is the fastest Verizon offers for my area. Since they are not planning to bring FIOS to my area any time soon if at all ( a few years ago they said they were) I would love them to max out the DSL service. I can get cable service but the company that is here is terrible.

0 Likes