DSL Speeds and "my" price for it.
darkwarlord

I think I'm seriously getting jipped on the DSL speeds im getting for the price that I am paying.

I've been a Verizon customer for a very long time, over a span of 8~years. ..so my modem has not changed since I moved to this current household (6yrs~) so my year-contract thing is not in place, but that's not the case. Add some $ onto that, and I still am not even getting the "2nd" speed plans speeds.

At my price of nearly 40$ a month, from the speeds at http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/HighSpeedInternet/Plans/Plans.htm

I should be getting 3mb, given the added 10$ im guessing for no more contract? Anyways....

My maxium speeds are only 190kb/40kb (1546kbps/373kbps) http://www.speedtest.net/result/425219581.png

What should I do to correct this mess?

Ticks me off knowing people pay less money and get far better speeds.

Figured someone might want my modem info,

Westell, Inc.

Model: B90-210015-04

Rev: C

Assembled IN US 02/2003

Message Edited by darkwarlord on 03-07-2009 09:10 PM
Message Edited by darkwarlord on 03-07-2009 09:10 PM
0 Likes
Re: DSL Speeds and "my" price for it.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 How many computers are behind this modem?

#2 Are any of your computers, directly connected to this modem?

#3 If not, you are most likely using a router.

b) If you are using a router, what is the brand and model of it?

#4 What security software do you have?

Some examples....

a) The firewall built into Windows, at least version XP.

b) An Anti-Virus Scanner
0 Likes
wardog77

Verizon also changed mine to a 3mb plan after my old 768k plan had expired. I had assumed they actually provisioned the line for the new service but when I tested it recently it turns out they had neven actually provisioned the line for the new speed.

It almost looks like yours is provisioned for 1.5mb, but you'll have to call support and have them run a test and check the service type on the line. The problem is that a lot of their techs don't understand that the information they read on the billing screen isn't necessarily the same speed that is being provisioned at the switch.

I'm now in the process of trying to get Verizon to refund the difference between what they were charging me this whole time, and the service their equipment actually had provisioned on the line. I haven't had any luck on the phone with this so far and I'm hoping they do better with email.

0 Likes
darkwarlord

#1 How many computers are behind this modem?

Just myself, it's directly connected.

#2 Are any of your computers, directly connected to this modem?

^above.

#3 If not, you are most likely using a router.
b) If you are using a router, what is the brand and model of it?

#4 What security software do you have?
Some examples....
a) The firewall built into Windows, at least version XP.

I use Armor Personal Firewall 3.0.0.190

b) An Anti-Virus Scanner

Avg/Spybot, systems been clean for many years :x

I make sure it stays that way too by formating every 8-10months. 

--

I'm jus baffled about my speeds and other people in my town.

Even my cousin whom pays 40$ monthly, gets up to 300kb download. He replaced his broken modem a few months ago.

He had me deal with the Indians to get him it...lol

Message Edited by darkwarlord on 03-08-2009 09:19 PM
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Ouch.

---

I believe you are NOT NATTED, but let us make sure.

Go to Start -> Run.

Type in cmd and press enter.

In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

Does the IP address that you found in ipconfig match the external IP as shown at 

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

?

#2 Is your computer clean?

Please follow the steps over at  All FAQs » Security Cleanup FAQ » Help - I'm Infected! » Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistanc...

0 Likes
srp
I am a current dsl customer and I dont knw how much speed i hv im paying $34.99 evry mnth 
0 Likes
Jim785
Contributor - Level 1

Hey darkwarlord,

I have DSL(HSI) personally at my house and have the 3mbps package, and only get 1.533mbps down, the speed loss is because I live quite a ways from the CO, and the **bleep**her out from the CO(central office) you are the slower the speeds go.. I understand your frustrations personally trust me on that, but if I didn't have dsl I'd be crawling at dialup..

0 Likes