DSL Starting to become extremely slow during, extremely frustrated since i telecommute
jkwan1981

Starting April 16, 2009 around 6pm PT my DSL DL speed has been as slow as to 100kbps and averages about to 400kbps .   I was able to hit 2-2.5mbps throughout the day.  I do a lot of telecommuting and I need to VPN to work and I can't do it on 100kbps.  I've called Verizon tech suppport and they say everything is fine on there line and it shows that they are sending out 3mbps and that my modem is fine; however, I still belive it's on there end.  I'm debating of going to Comcast if I can't get this fix.  Has anyone every encountered my situation and how they resolved this?  Is someone just download massive amounts of data in my neighborhood, if so how would I find out?

Thanks,

-Jeff

0 Likes
Re: DSL Starting to become extremely slow during, extremely frustrated since i telecommute
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?
0 Likes
Re: DSL Starting to become extremely slow during, extremely frustrated since i telecommute
jkwan1981

Modem = Westell 6100

Router = Linksys WRT160N

Everything has been find for a year until these past couple of days.  It's pretty obvious someone is doing a massive download somewhere or everyone just signed up for verizon dsl and want to sign on at the same time.  If so, should by dsl still go down from 2.6mps which I get around 2am too a turtle speed of 200kbps around 6-11pm?  

0 Likes
shiang
I'm experiencing the same frustration. I DSL has been working fine (for the past 5 years), and it is very slow in recent couple of weeks. I called Verizon and they just tried to talk me into buying that my computer is too old. I'm also researching for other options.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jkwan1981 wrote:

Modem = Westell 6100

Router = Linksys WRT160N

Everything has been find for a year until these past couple of days.  It's pretty obvious someone is doing a massive download somewhere or everyone just signed up for verizon dsl and want to sign on at the same time.  If so, should by dsl still go down from 2.6mps which I get around 2am too a turtle speed of 200kbps around 6-11pm?  

#1 Are there any computers in your house that use wireless?

#2 Go to Wireless -> Basic Wireless Setup:

The screen will look like this: http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT160N/v3/3.0.00/Wireless_Basic.htm

a) Configuration View: Manual / Wi-Fi Protected Setup?

b) SSID Broadcast: Enabled / Disabled?

Go to Wireless Security.

Security Mode?

Go to Wirless MAC Filter

a) Enable or disabled?

b) Prevent PCs listed below from accessing the wireless network OR
Permit PCs listed below to access the wireless network

?

Go to Advanced Wireless Settings.

a) AP Isolation: enabled /disabled?

b) Authentication Type ?

--

Go to Administration -> Management.

a) Web Utility Access, HTTP/HTTPs ?

b) Remote Management, enabled/disabled?

c) Web Utility Access via Wireless: Enabled/disabled?

d) UPnP: Enabled/Disabled?

--

This is plenty of questions for now..
0 Likes