DSL and Wifi for Ipad
michaelp1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Verizon DSL and the Westell modem model B90-210015-04.  I recently bought an Ipad and would like to set up wifi at home.  I'm assuming I will need to connect the modem to a wireless router to do this.  Is there a brand or certain router that is better to do this?  And once I do get a router, how to I go about connecting it to be able to connect to the internet with my ipad?  Eventually I plan on getting FIOS, but that is a few months away and I would like to be able to use the DSL to connect for now. Thanks for any input.

Re: DSL and Wifi for Ipad
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just pick up any cheap router that will do the job. It doesn't need to be anything special 🙂 . Once you receive it since the Westell 2100 is a bridge modem, you will need to configure your modem for either PPPoE or you will need to leave the modem off for a few hours after connecting the router if Verizon uses DHCP out where you are.

Also, configuring the router can be done right through your PC using a web browser; they do often provide an installation CD to help you set it up though.

Oddeath
Enthusiast - Level 1

The extra router attached to the Verizon Westell modem was a key contribution for solving my problem. I don't know what the 2 hour wait time was all about in that other post. There was no wait time - unless you are calling Verizon for help.

My problem was that my iPad and other laptops could not connect via wireless for the Verizon DSL line. The obvious rhetorical question here is why Verizon sells a wireless modem that won't let you access wireless. I tried their automated support line and it was useless. My options were to find a new wireless supplier (expensive and pain but definitely in play) or solve the problem myself. Radio Shack supplied the Belkin wireless router and I hooked it up to the Westell modem.

Run the RJ45 cord from one of the Westell outputs to the yellow input on the Belkin (or other router). Hook your desktop up via RJ45 from the Belkin modem and then configure the Belkin modem. The Belkin support people were great - light years better than their Verizon counterparts. Once I got the Belkin set up and configured the iPad and all other wireless laptops worked. Verizon owes me $30 plus set up time. If you can avoid Verizon DSL do it all costs - their FiOs system is great but Verizon DSL is lame and the support sucks. Especially true when you have to do your own troubleshooting and supply your own equipment to solve a Verizon problem.   

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Oddeath wrote:

My problem was that my iPad and other laptops could not connect via wireless for the Verizon DSL line. The obvious rhetorical question here is why Verizon sells a wireless modem that won't let you access wireless. I tried their automated support line and it was useless. My options were to find a new wireless supplier (expensive and pain but definitely in play) or solve the problem myself. Radio Shack supplied the Belkin wireless router and I hooked it up to the Westell modem.

The possibility of an incompatibility (usually with WEP security for recent products) or a defect with your Westell unit could have been the issue. Verizon would have replaced it without an issue if it were not due to a misconfiguration.